How would you light this..or would you?

aonavy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I was tasked to shoot a event in a gym. Very high ceilings, bright light around the edge of the gym and dark in the middle. How would you tackle this lighting. I have already did this event and ditched the flash and just used a fast lens. The people who hired me, were very happy. They also thought it was a good idea not to use flash because there will alot of "old people" attending.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts if flash wouldn't have been an issue.

If you use a fast lens you have to sacrifice DOF or sharpness by stopping the lens to low. Sounds like a flash set to low power could help a lot.

What kind of an event?

If there are any laws of photography other than the physical kind nobody's bothered to tell me. ;)

Happy customers are generally an indication that you got it right.

It was a youth of the year event. Nothing crazy. School function sort of thing.

What kind of an event?

If there are any laws of photography other than the physical kind nobody's bothered to tell me. ;)

Happy customers are generally an indication that you got it right.

so are thinking Low power direct?(diffused of course)

If you use a fast lens you have to sacrifice DOF or sharpness by stopping the lens to low. Sounds like a flash set to low power could help a lot.

So I was tasked to shoot a event in a gym. Very high ceilings, bright light around the edge of the gym and dark in the middle. How would you tackle this lighting. I have already did this event and ditched the flash and just used a fast lens. The people who hired me, were very happy. They also thought it was a good idea not to use flash because there will alot of "old people" attending.

Just wanted to hear your thoughts if flash wouldn't have been an issue.

You've done the assignment and the client was happy.

Case closed.

I wasnt Happy. High ISO made for less sharps pictures.

Im sure its going to happen again. Wanted to get some advice.

Case reopened.

Old people hate flash. Sounds like a comment left by one of the cut-and=paste bots that trawl TPF...

On the other hand, old people appreciate good,sharp,clear pictures, whereas younger people who are used to cell phone images are happy with softer, less-sharp images.

Old people hate flash. Sounds like a comment left by one of the cut-and=paste bots that trawl TPF...

On the other hand, old people appreciate good,sharp,clear pictures, whereas younger people who are used to cell phone images are happy with softer, less-sharp images.

I began to wonder how old these "old people" are. Do they remember the magnesium powder flash? Or perhaps they think photographers still use flash bulbs (about the same duration of light). An electronic strobe is such short duration that most people don't mind at all.

I'm 32 and dont want to sit threw dinner and speeches with flashes going off 24/7. I see where they are coming from in general. I wasnt the only person shooting. theres was video, tv crew and new paper. The newspaper guy guy was carrying the standard 24-70 and 70-200 no flash.

Just want to get some information on how you would light this is any. That's all.

The thing to remember about high ISO is if the quality of light sucks, it will suck the same on high ISO as it would on low. ISO doesn't change quality of light. Adding flash can increase quantity and quality, if you diffuse it or add it off-camera. Direct on-camera flash is never a solution. Depending on the event and what your're shooting, you can have a light stand or hold the flash in hand. I don't see how flash would be an issue these days when everyone has a pocket cam or iPhone firing during every moment.

I'm 32 and dont want to sit threw dinner and speeches with flashes going off 24/7. I see where they are coming from in general. I wasnt the only person shooting. theres was video, tv crew and new paper. The newspaper guy guy was carrying the standard 24-70 and 70-200 no flash.

Just want to get some information on how you would light this is any. That's all.

OK, I'm not going to be the grammar police.

It doesn't matter what you want if you're the photographer. .

Do what you need to do to get the shot or don't.

Gatta love replying to a thread with an Iphone.

OK, I'm not going to be the grammar police.

It doesn't matter what you want if you're the photographer. .

Do what you need to do to get the shot or don't.

The thing to remember about high ISO is if the quality of light sucks, it will suck the same on high ISO as it would on low. ISO doesn't change quality of light. Adding flash can increase quantity and quality, if you diffuse it or add it off-camera. Direct on-camera flash is never a solution. Depending on the event and what your're shooting, you can have a light stand or hold the flash in hand. I don't see how flash would be an issue these days when everyone has a pocket cam or iPhone firing during every moment.

This is kind of what I was alluding to. Sorry I was so oblique. As Hirejn has noted...if the light is dreadful...elevating the ISO gets you pictures of dreadful light, shot at high ISO values. Depending on the clientele, 'some people' will greatly,greatly prefer sharp,clear, well-illuminated flash shots; others will be happy with photos that have a much different look and feel--even if that look involves dim light, low resolution, and noisy images, and even some blurring. Now that it's no longer 1945, and we're no longer shooting big,loud, slow-buring, retina-searing FP-class flashbulbs, but instead are using speedlights that wink on and wink off in usually 1/1000 second or less, I thin k the opposition to flash is much less than it was back in Grandpa's day. Or great grandpa's day. I dunno.NO judgement intended on my part...shoot however you wanna do it...but if you're not happy with the results, then you made a bad decision.

Thanks for information. I guess what I did was fine.
Thanks again

Most reactions

Back