hoya

Abby Rose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Really, this is ridiculously hard. Brands, prices, products, and millions of websites and stores and opinions... ugh. I'm still not entirely clear on things.

Well.

I think I'm going to buy a hoya filter, either circular polarizing or nd. I hear that they are affordable and not bad quality, which works for me. I would mainly like to slow down water, but reducing glare and whatnot is good too.

I don't, however, know what to look at. There are so many different kinds, with little numbers and mm numbers and letters that I dont know what they stand for and everything! Plus, apparently my camera has an odd thread size on the front, but I dont know how to find out what it is. I don't even know what terms to google or ask about. :blushing:

help?

Your lens' filter size is likely either marked on the lens-hood or the near the filter threads, it will appear as the "diameter" symbol (circle with a line through it) and a size in mm - 52, 55, 67, and 77 are among the most common.

Hoya filters are decent, but spend the extra couple of dollars and get the multi-coated version. Between the two choices you've listed (CPOL and G-ND) I would recommend the CPOL as the first one since it's much more versatile (enhancing saturation, contrast, reducing reflections, and will you between 1.5 and 2 stops of light reduction).

Edited to add: If your lens' filter diameter isn't marked on the lens or hood, check the literature which came with it. Failing that Google it thusly: "Nikon 55-200 f3.5 - 5.6 filter diameter" or go the maker's website and check it there.

I simply googled it, exactly how tirediron worded it (using my lens information instead). I found the information immediately.

I just got my HMC CPOL in the mail this morning... Having fun with it.

Thank you :)

On a related note, this is what is says on the front of my lens: 2,7-4,5/5,2-78

What does that mean?

It also says "Carl Zeiss", which I know is what "kind" it is, and it says "Vario-Tessar", which I assume is another kind of classification?

"Carl Zeiss" is the manufacturer, "Vario-Tessar" is the style/type/model/line, "2.7 - 4.5" is the aperture maximum range (ie, largest aperture at 5.2mm is f 2.7, and largest aperture at 78mm is f4.5), and "5.2 - 78" is the focal length in mm. You were holding out on us; you didn't mention that yours is a bridge camera. AFAIK, it doesn't have filter threads to support regular screw-in filters. You can however take advantage of the Cokin System using this mechanism.

Why does it have , instead of . ? Odd.

the fact that it's a bridge is in my sig, but maybe its not obvious. ;) I get comments about that fact a lot... Don't judge me poorly for this camera! It was a gift and who knows if I'll stick with photography anyway? Better to wait to buy a DSLR until I know the basics and until I get settled down in my habits and hobbies, which I expect change a lot during college. Also until I have money that I dont need to spend on tuition. I count filter knowledge as a "basic", by the way. :)

That cokin attachment is a good idea, but it attaches to the space where I set the camera on the tripod which causes a problem in that I couldnt use it and the tripod at the same time.

A European way of expressing numerical values I believe. I'm making no judgements about your camera, other than that I don't believe it has the threads to support screw-in filters, and yes, I see the "missing" information now. My mistake.
As far as the Cokin bracket goes, I believe that you are able to attach a tripod to it (but don't quote me on that).

I agree, filter knowledge should be considered basic, and the best camera in the world is the one that you have. DON'T get the bad case of GAS* that so many photographers have - you'll be broke in no time!

*Gear acquisition syndrome

Greasy said:
That is the European decimal system.

Aha! Well, here I am, typical American, totally naive of any system besides my own. :blushing: Thanks.

tirediron said:
DON'T get the bad case of GAS* that so many photographers have - you'll be broke in no time!

Yes indeed, and I'm happy with that camera I have and the results I get now. I'd just like to learn a few new things and expand. One or two basic filters I think, isn't a bad decision. :)

I'll put "bridge" in my sig and try to avoid more awkward conversations... ;)

Get a screw on polariser and a filter set with a clip on for your lens like Cokins system, that way if you buy a new lens there's a cheaper alternative to use your filters

Most reactions

Back