Thiophilos
No longer a newbie, moving up!
- Joined
- Feb 13, 2024
- Messages
- 667
- Reaction score
- 995
- Location
- Ottawa
- Can others edit my Photos
- Photos OK to edit
And what is the dew point? It doesn't matter. Just warm it up if there is risk of condensation.
Would a UV filter (or any filter) protect the surface of my lens from condensation? I would think it would reduce the shock when going outdoors and allow time for the lens surface to become acclimated to the humid weather so it doesn't steam up.
Other than slowly acclimating the camera to the out door environment, any other tips for going from an Air Conditioned hotel room out into the humid air?
For Example:
1. As we approach our destination in our car, slowly turn the AC off and then open the window to the car, but leave the camera in the case.
2. After we get to our destination, leave the camera in the case for 10-15 mins before taking it out of the bag
3. Wait a 5-10 more minutes to take the lens cap off.
I plan to not carry the case with me while we hike, but just carry the camera around my neck, so silica gel packets won't be necessary.
: The air out there is a salty moist. In fact, it’s so salty that the planes that fly that route have to be swapped for other planes every 5 years to prevent
They are not very good at protecting from impacts.
Funny how they taken punches and saved some very expensive glass from serious damage.
Been there. Usually requires battlefield surgical techniques and inappropriate tools. Have a small wardrobe of old Nikon hoods.Yes, they can for sure save a lens. Every so often we have a customer that damaged the filter and the lens was fine. They can be a PITA to take off though.
I use metal lens hoods instead as I use filters only when necessary.
Well as with any impact it depends. I have seen (not experienced myself) how a filter impact damaged threads on the lens and the broken glass chiped the lens glass. As for me as soon as the lens cap comes off. The lens hood is on. In an impact the lens hood is plastic and will not damage threads, it is flexible and can absorb internal lens impact damage by reducing impact instead of transferring impact and it protects objects from touching the front element. Lens hood is a better friend in my opinion and improves IQ instead of degrading it.Damage the front element of that pricey lens and you might change your tune. Think of it
as a clear lens cap.
Did you actually read this sentence? Hilarious...Well as with any impact it depends. I have seen (not experienced myself) how a filter impact damaged threads on the lens and the broken glass chiped the lens glass. As for me as soon as the lens cap comes off. The lens hood is on. In an impact the lens hood is plastic and will not damage threads, it is flexible and can absorb internal lens impact damage by reducing impact instead of transferring impact and it protects objects from touching the front element. Lens hood is a better friend in my opinion and improves IQ instead of degrading it.
Good lens hood takes punches and does not degrade the optic.YMMV, as always. Simply mentioning my personal experience--not hearsay.
Doesnt matter at all whether you understand it.I can never understand why would some one put a £30 piece of glass in front of a £1000 lens ..??
Miscommunication. Jeff15 is saying that it doesn't make sense.Doesnt matter at all whether you understand it.
Damage the front element of that pricey lens and you might change your tune. Think of it
as a clear lens cap.
But I also admit, I'm an old timer with about 65 years of photography, so I get stuck in my ways.Yes, it is. I just get tired of the harsh critics, who can't let others decide?Correct, Canon used to provide a protective clear element on some of their big tele lenses. But they don't do that any more.
Up to the user to decide.