Hummingbirds

mountainjunkie

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Apparently we have a “charm” of hummingbirds that call our neighborhood home during the spring/summer (had to google what their groups are called. Haha)

This is my first attempt shooting them, any c&c or general advice for these fast moving critters is welcome. These were taken with a sigma 70-200 lens at F/8, shutter speeds varying from 1/800-1/1200

49931681207_21f6a5f87d_o.jpg

49931655587_10b8e070ec_o.jpg

49931337886_3eaa91552b_o.jpg

49930831458_06d01213c9_o.jpg

Very nice especially for a 1st try at this.
I like the "from below" perspective since it is so uncommon.

My only suggestion wold be to give more thought to where the light is coming from and possibly position yourself differently in an attempt to make the red throat really show.

Nice shots. Keep at it. Looking forward to seeing more.

Great first set.

As RVT1K was saying if you can position the light to your back it will provide better lighting for the subject. If you can't position yourself like that another option is to shoot them at a different time of day where the sun would be more behind you to get better lighting.

Your shutter speeds are good for getting the body in focus and I usually like blurred wings on a hummer myself but if you want to get less wing blurr try boosting to over 1/2000 and bringing your Fstop down to F4. You'll still have enough DOF for a humming bird and will lessen the wing blur.

P.S. First set AND catching one in flight, you're a natural.

Thanks for the feedback all. I should be able to reposition for better light next attempt, although that will increase the upward angle. Worth a shot!

Most reactions

Back