Hunter

Evertking

How do I turn this thing on?
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_20190103_212655_921.jpg

I said it before: that kid has the greatest head of hair! He is very photogenic and should be playing Huck Finn in a play somewhere! I like your lighting and the colors on this one.

Last edited:
Links are fine. Okay... I thought so; that was sort of my impression. Honestly? I think I'd rework this image. It's great aside from that.

Links are fine. Okay... I thought so; that was sort of my impression. Honestly? I think I'd rework this image. It's great aside from that.
You know there are videos in the internet for all sorts of things but when it comes to this painterly effect, I can't find a single one.

Ohhh, this is quite magical indeed. I'll echo Dean and say the colors and tones are well chosen. :)

One trick I sometimes use if the skin processing doesn't work the way I'd hoped is to cut out the original face, paste it on top of the processed face and fade it. I'll erase the eyes and lips to leave the processing clear but play with the fade level on the skin areas. I've had some good results (with approval here) from that, it might be worth a try. I mostly use it on older models so I'm not sure how it would work on a child.

There could of course be another method that's more effective, my processing is entirely self taught and I'm not up on the correct terminology, I just do it! :)

One trick I sometimes use if the skin processing doesn't work the way I'd hoped is to cut out the original face, paste it on top of the processed face and fade it. I'll erase the eyes and lips to leave the processing clear but play with the fade level on the skin areas. I've had some good results (with approval here) from that, it might be worth a try. I mostly use it on older models so I'm not sure how it would work on a child.

There could of course be another method that's more effective, my processing is entirely self taught and I'm not up on the correct terminology, I just do it! :)

Well, if your doing face transplants, your PP is more advanced than my skills. ;)
I see how that could work out and will have to try it.

Overall your processing style seems to lean toward the heavy hand on post. While I'm not necessarily a fan of the look, preferring more natural textures and color, there are some who do and knowing the techniques involved makes for a better artist. I've encountered the gray skin phenomena on occasion, in processing, usually as a result of pushing an improper exposure to far. Hue is a product of both color and brightestness (light) underexposed skin tones tend to show up as gray. The best way to prevent it is to be sure you have a good exposure with a full data file from left to right on your histogram. I'm not at my computer, but to correct this you might try SELECT >COLOR RANGE COMMAND and select the skin tone of the face. Then click on CURVES ADJUSTMENT LAYER. This will select just the skin and mask off the rest of the image. Use the INDIVIDUAL RGB CURVES to adjust the color to taste. Repeat this process on another layer to set the black point in the image. Even then you might need to further adjust via a COLOR BALANCE, LEVELS, OR BRIGHTNESS & CONTAST LAYER, clipping them to curves layer so they only adjust the skin tones.

Another little trick on skin is to make a selection of good skin color close to what you want. Copy/Paste selection as a layer then run Filter>average. Use your color picker to sample the result as your foreground color. Now on a new layer in you image, use a very soft brush to paint in skin. Adjusting layer mode andopacity as required.

In all processing if you aren't familiar with all the ways to use the tone curve I would highly suggest reading up on it. The power, flexibility and speed available is unbelievable.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back