Thank you all so much. It was very hard for me to take these photos as I knew how badly these people were suffering. I wanted to show that it's not just looters and thugs, but real suffering people, grandmothers, and tiny children.
It was heartbreaking to see. These were taken at Reunion Arena in Dallas where the American Red Cross has set up a shelter. These were also taken as they just started to come in. There are thousands of them there now.
They arrived in cars, crammed with so many people there was not room to move. They clutched whatever muddy items they could not leave behind. A lot of them carried Bibles. They wore muddy robes and house shoes having fled in the night. They found new clothes, changed and then just sat looking off into space. You could feel their weariness. You knew what they faced. No home, no job. They kept asking about loved ones........if they had been found........if they had made it out of the SuperDome.
I cried. I couldn't help myself. There are so many of them.