Hyperfocal Distance

laudrup

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can anyone explain how to find this in layman's terms, i know that it's supposed to maximise depth of field and you focus approximately a third into the scene. But am not entirely sure if this is accurate.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Any advice would be appreciated

If I recall, and I am at work so I can't look it up right now, hyperfocal distance is the distance to the closest object in focus when the lens is focused at infinity.

'Hyperfocal distance' - the distance between the lens and the nearest point of acceptably sharp focus when the lens is focused for infinity.
When the lens is focused for the hyperfocal distance the depth of field extends from half this distance to infinity.
It is just a way of exploiting depth of field to the max.
Hyperfocal distance varies with every f-number as well as focal length and the acceptable diameter of the circle of confusion.

Best way of finding it is to use calculate using:
(Focal length)2/f-no. x dia. c. of c. = hyperfocal distance.

(Focal length squared divided by f-number times the diameter of the circle of confusion)

Someone is bound to suggest a web site or some software that does it for you.

I know how to find the hyperfocal distance but what if the HF distance is something like 5 ft in front of you, but there's nothing 5 ft in front to focus on? What do you do then? Do you focus on the ground? Not to mention, it's a bit hard to measure 6.2 ft unless you're break out with a tape measurer in public. Any suggestions on how to make this more convenient?

--Peter

Pkboi24 said:
I know how to find the hyperfocal distance but what if the HF distance is something like 5 ft in front of you, but there's nothing 5 ft in front to focus on? What do you do then? Do you focus on the ground? Not to mention, it's a bit hard to measure 6.2 ft unless you're break out with a tape measurer in public. Any suggestions on how to make this more convenient?

--Peter
Approximate works OK - unless you are admitting to not being able to estimate 6ft.

What if there's nothing 6 ft in front of me to focus on? Do I focus on the ground or place a subject there to focus on?

--Peter

Pkboi24 said:
What if there's nothing 6 ft in front of me to focus on? Do I focus on the ground or place a subject there to focus on?

--Peter
Some lenses have distance scales marked on them - use it if you have one.
If not, set the focus to manual and find something to stand 6ft from and focus on (if you don't have manual focus then do the same but lock the focus - you should have that facility). Then move back to your viewpoint and frame the shot and set exposure.
Using the hyperfocal point is only really practical (and of use) when doing landscape or similar. Stuff you have a lot of time to set up.

Usually when you want the maximum depth of field, you are using an aperture
of f22-f32 and the subject is a landscape. You wouldn't need a hyperfocal distance with large apertures. I set my lens to infinity and then looking
through the lens, back off until the nearest object comes into focus.
That's your hyperfocal distance. I'm talking about film cameras.
dundee6

Most reactions

New Topics

Back