I am deleting my own account

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceCo55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just read this thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/feedback-suggestions/309426-please-delete-my-user-account.html

My first reaction was "are you people serious!?". The general flavor seemed to be yes we (or some of us) can be "tough", "honest", "brutal", "blunt" etc but really YOU need to toughen up and grow a thick skin because it will be good for you in the long run.
There is definitely a group of experienced and wannabe-experienced members who seem to be more into belittling, bullying and being just downright nasty to those with little experience or not in the "clique". When will it get through to people that bullying and "put-downs" can have serious effects on people. I would have thought a forum would be a place where people are given honest "opinions" with respect and a nurturing manner. One can be "brutally" honest without making someone feel bad.
In many posts, one of the regulars will have a "go" at a newbie and it becomes a self-perpetuating feeding frenzy. There seems to be a general acceptance of active or "tough-love" denigration.
Instead of saying well that's the way it is (it will be good for you in the end) and expecting the newbie to toughen up ... the culture of bullying, denigration and snide remarks needs to be questioned and changed. This is what puts newcomers off ... people already lacking in confidence but willing to reach out for help only to be made to feel like $h*t. Why can't some of you just be honest AND respectful? Why don't the moderators chat these people?
I'm checking out so you can pat each other on the back and say "it's not us, we are actually helping them ... why don't they thank us for telling the truth"
I'm sure some of you will actually convince yourselves that you are really nice guys but "if you don't hit 'em between the eyes with your version of the truth" ... not matter how rudely it is delivered ... they will never be good photographers.
I guess I will be attacked and you will convince yourselves that I must be deluded (because all of us agree with each other) and that it is, in fact, I that needs to change. Just like your view that newbies are to blame and that they should toughen up ......... rather than the forum "bullies" toning down their responses so that they are more respectful.
OK - I'm done - if you play true to form you can now feed on the carcase of this thread.
I won't be replying - another point for you to attack - just remember though, the solution does not lie with the victim ... it lies with the forum bullies.

When will it get through to people that it's "just the internet" and everyone, regardless of talent level has access to it and can leave a critique. I'm a genuinely kind person, but I don't feel too bad for people that get hung up on what someone they haven't/will never meet says on a photography board.

Bye.

"OK - I'm done - if you play true to form you can now feed on the carcase of this thread."

You already know exactly whats going to happen, so why feed the beast?

If a user notices abusive or insulting posts they have a duty to report them using the report function so that they can air their view to the moderation and administration team. Whilst mods and admin do keep an eye on the site we are not able to read everything; furthermore sometimes we might not see a comment in the same light as other users. This is why we have the report function and why we rely heavily upon the members of the forum to use that function to communicate with us.

Only when specific matters are brought to light can we really make any form of action, and we do act upon reports.

We are also always open to constructive input and suggestions from members as to how to improve the site, indeed with increased moderation we've managed to improve the site no end in the recent year. There is still a way to go, but we are working hard to improve things, but we can only do this with the support and aid of the members of the site itself.

Furthermore please we aware that we do not allow "flounce" threads when users leave the site, as predicted even in the first post a last "I'm leaving" and firing a shot at the site and the members always degenerates into a fight against such commentary and as such this thread is now locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back