Yalls Thoughts On My First Neg. Police Encounter

How do you handle being asked/demanded to delete a photo?

• Comply

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Refuse

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who owns the flea market? It's up to them if people are allowed to bring in cameras. You're photographing what seems to be the vendors' place of business since they presumably are paying to rent the space to sell merchandise. Sometimes businesses or stores have restrictions on their merchandise being photographed.

If you're there all day going around I think if I was a vendor I'd be wondering what you were doing and what you're going to do with that many photos.because that's a lot of time to spend taking pictures. I've done sports and events; it doesn't take all that long to photograph an event. If I'm taking pictures just for my own personal use at a festival or event I doubt I'd be there all day; if I was working a day long event I don't think I'd be taking pictures all day either. It seems like an excessive amount of time the way you describe it.

Obviously even if cameras are allowed by the flea market management, you seem to be coming across as an annoyance to the vendors. Maybe it's the amount of time you're there, maybe it's just too much for them feeling like they're constantly being photographed while they're trying to work. From the way you described it I could see how you might be getting on their nerves. You might need to rethink what you're doing and how it's coming across to them since they don't exactly seem receptive to your presence. Whether it's taking photos or watching or staring I think that gets uncomfortable after awhile. Would you want someone to do that to you? Just because you can do something doesn't mean you have to, especially if it's to the point of getting to be too much.
Absolutely no excuse for anyone to start throwing rocks at a photographer. Besides, encounter one, the police told him it was ok for him to be there taking photos.

Absolutely no excuse for anyone to start throwing rocks at a photographer. Besides, encounter one, the police told him it was ok for him to be there taking photos.
there's legality and there's manners.
the police won't stop you from wildly flatulating in a crowded restaurant but the establishment might take offence to it.

if the flea market vendor did not like him taking pictures, he should comply and move along. As I said: this isn't some ground breaking news story.

I'm saying if the op keeps up this behavior at the flea market, he will more likely get kick-out or ban for good. I don't know why you are upset about this.

No, you said...

If you can not handle those kinds of people, you will lose your privilege as a photographer in public places.

And I'm not upset but just calling you out on your bs.

Here I am about to be arrested.

Back in my early newspaper days I spent a couple hours in jail because I refused to turn off a tape recorder at an open public city council meeting. The recording was brought on by certain members of the Council saying things at the meetings then denying them when I reported it in my column. All charges were quickly dropped, and my report on the incident caused major ripples in the community which ultimately changed the Council. The jail I might add was reminiscent of Mayberry, so my stay was not overly uncomfortable. :allteeth:
I've never spent anytime jailed in the US. But in other countries it is almost routine ... like a rite of passage ... for security forces to pummel the press, crack a rib, bloody them up a bit, then break or steal their stuff then toss them away is some prison with no address. I thank the Lord that our government has the resources and the conviction to intervene and spring the media from arbitrary incarcerations.

I'm saying if the op keeps up this behavior at the flea market, he will more likely get kick-out or ban for good. I don't know why you are upset about this.

No, you said...

If you can not handle those kinds of people, you will lose your privilege as a photographer in public places.

What is your point? The op couldn't handle the people and the police at the flea market. If he doesn't learn from it, he will lose his privilege at the flea market.

I've never spent anytime jailed in the US. But in other countries it is almost routine ... like a rite of passage ...

Nothing quite so scary for me. I had known all of them on the council all my life, and the police chief was a close friend, so I wasn't all that concerned. However, I did prove my point that they couldn't say things in the heat of the moment and then try to deny it later.

I never expected this to be a thread so much about my autism. I only mentioned it in my post becuase I was saying I like the ideal of trying to become part of the flea market and interacting with people im going to try the ideal despite some diffcultys i have. To the joker guy in your work with kids with autism what offten happens when you invade what they perseve as there space. Im sure most of them will shutdown and become defensive. So think about this with me for a second. Im walking around the flea market with my headphones in takeing pictures of people and trying to remain seprate from them becuase thats how im comfortable. Now someone comes up to me yelling or touches me or throws rocks at me. What do you think my automatic response will be. Im going to dig my heels in and defend "my space". My perfect day of taking photos is not haveing to talk to anyone. You think becuase you know some aspies you get to tell me I dont have a disorder that i have delt with my whole life. you sir can go suck a lemon. Oh im sorry people with autism cant say that can they.

on to more light hearted things heres a photo I got at the flea market ill post more below the site is telling my the upload is to big when i try to select more then one photo
DSCF1871.JPG

No, you said...

What is your point? The op couldn't handle the people and the police at the flea market. If he doesn't learn from it, he will lose his privilege at the flea market.

I wont be loseing the abilty to go there the land is owned by the county To qoute the sherrif today " It is your right to be there your not breaking any laws by taking pictures. They cant kick you out any more then they could the snow cone vendor. There is a bit o a grey area about going inside vendors stalls where they do rent those spaces but from what ive seen you pretty well stick to the walk ways anyways so thats not a problem"

Do you understand what it's like to have Asperger's

Actually we do, as our oldest grandson was diagnosed at an early age. Left untreated he likely would have been a royal pain, but thanks to early intervention and counseling in dealing with it, he manages quite well without medication. One thing I will note, is that he was never given "special" consideration because of it. Asperger is a treatable condition, not a life definition.

Actually we do, as our oldest grandson was diagnosed at an early age. Left untreated he likely would have been a royal pain, but thanks to early intervention and counseling in dealing with it, he manages quite well without medication. One thing I will note, is that he was never given "special" consideration because of it. Asperger is a treatable condition, not a life definition.

Thank you, though I will add that I wasn't directing my comment at you but rather at the person who decided the OP couldn't really have Asperger's because he can write a post on an Internet forum.

As for "treatable condition" vs "life definition", I will not comment because it can be a tricky subject, along a similar vein to the question of whether or not deafness is a disability or a culture (deaf vs Deaf... I can explain more if interested...), and I'm not in a position to speak for anyone else about how they would define it for themselves.

I'm on my phone at the moment and can't stand to type much more on this tiny keyboard, so I'm going to link and quote for some explanation of what I'm talking about:

Autism rights movement - Wikipedia

" The autism rights movement (ARM), also known as the autistic culture movement, is a social movement within the neurodiversity and disability rights movements that encourages autistic people, their caregivers and society to adopt a position of neurodiversity, accepting autism as a variation in functioning rather than a disorder to be cured.[2] The ARM advocates a variety of goals including a greater acceptance of autistic behaviors;[3] therapies that teach autistic individuals coping skills rather than therapies focused on imitating behaviors of neurotypical peers;[4] the creation of social networks and events that allow autistic people to socialize on their own terms;[5] and the recognition of the autistic community as a minority group.[6]"

there is a huge difference in seeing it from the outside. compared to experiencing it for you self. I'm happy your grandson is doing well but you dont get to come tell me about the spectrum simply because you know someone whos on it. Untill you know the frustration of missing the most basic soical ques and always feeling like a idoit or the anxety that drives you to block out the world as you walk by everyone at college. the fear that keeps you looking down trying to imagine they arent there untill you are riducled and picked on your entire life then you dont get to tell me anything about autism to qoute bane You merely adopted the autism I was born in to it

Dont get me wrong I know your grandson autism has likly had a huge effect on your life and im not dimmising that all im saying is regradless of your person experince unless you have autism you cant really understand it. all you can see is your grandson functioning "normaly" in the world you. its like if you had painfull sores all over you body you can bandage them up so outwardly the look fine but your still fighting painfull sores

Last edited:
Our oldest son is Autistic, with severe Asperger's Syndrome. While the APA has dropped the separate classification of Asperger's withing the Autism spectrum, it's still a huge challenge, even after 45 years.

He was born in 1972, at a time when Asperger's diagnosis was gathering dust on the shelf of an obscure Austrian psychologist, and Autism was "Rain Man". In fact, our son wasn't diagnosed with autism until 1989, in his junior year of high school; and he wasn't diagnosed with Asperger's until 2007, at the time he had a complete relapse of his progress with Autism.

Until Autism was diagnosed as a spectrum disorder, children like my son were diagnosed with "unknown behavioral disturbances, with no apparent cause" (the exact quote of a child psychologist).

People with Autism and Asperger's are always in danger of a relapse, even with psychological intervention, therapy, and a home life which keeps him focused.

RESCUE341 is observing his Asperger's from inside, a horrible place to try and figure out just where the problem is, and what happens when things go sideways. Our son is aware of his diagnosis, understands and can discuss Asperger's and Autism, but understanding the diagnosis and taking corrective action are nearly impossible to do. The possibility of lapsing into near non-treatment. We constantly reinforce proper social interaction, but it will never "stick". And, expecting strangers to understand Asperger's is akin to getting folks to understand astrophysical "String Theory". There are too many people out there who still believe that Autistics should act like Dustin Hoffman counting his toothpicks, and needing to watch Judge Wapner daily.

Last edited:
@rescue341 I wasn't commenting on you but replying to a question posed by limr. I wouldn't presume to know the severity of problems you deal with as no two individuals are alike. Our grandson is currently 16 years old, and unless you knew his background would never know. (a lot different than his early years). At the time he was diagnosed, Asperger was often misdiagnosed, as a form of ADD, with Adderall being prescribed. Fortunately his mother was relentless in finding out what was actually wrong. She also encouraged him to always step out of his comfort zone and didn't give him the opportunity to shrink away. Among other things he has been on a debate team for several years, now and has become very accomplished at public speaking. If you haven't sought help for the condition, I would suggest you do, as there are many resources out there now. If you are then I wish you success in your journey.

@rescue341 I wasn't commenting on you but replying to a question posed by limr. I wouldn't presume to know the severity of problems you deal with as no two individuals are alike. Our grandson is currently 16 years old, and unless you knew his background would never know. (a lot different than his early years). At the time he was diagnosed, Asperger was often misdiagnosed, as a form of ADD, with Adderall being prescribed. Fortunately his mother was relentless in finding out what was actually wrong. She also encouraged him to always step out of his comfort zone and didn't give him the opportunity to shrink away. Among other things he has been on a debate team for several years, now and has become very accomplished at public speaking. If you haven't sought help for the condition, I would suggest you do, as there are many resources out there now. If you are then I wish you succ

I'm very sorry then I misunderstood. The way i orginaly took your post was wrong. I'm very happy your grandson is doing great. I do get limted treatment I say limted becuase the only source of counsolling we are able to afford in the area is the local hospitals community consoluer. Who despite her best intentions I dont think is very capable of helping much. my girlfriend also suffers from asbergers so we find confidence and friendship in eachother and just kind of deal with the world as it comes for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back