I am looking to buy a new SLR camera!

emik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am seeking advice from an expert regarding buying a SLR camera. I have never used one before but I really enjoy taking pictures when I travel. My current Lumix is okay but I want better focus and quality. I want to know when is the best time to buy a camera, in terms of deals (also where to buy them). Also, which camera(s) are the best price and quality wise, because I don't want to spend a lot of money as a beginner.

Thanks you for your time!

Since you have the Internet, you can research which is the best one for you. The part about " I want a DSLR" but do not want to spend a lot of money, but want better quality, ruins your question. They all focus as well as your eyes can see.

If you are looking to buy a Nikon 35mm SLR then get a N80, F100 or a F5. If you are wanting a DSLR (digital) then get a D7000 or a D700. If money is a issue get a D3100. For a DX lens, Nikon's 35mm 1.8 is a good all purpose lens. For shooting Film or FX a 17-35mm 2.8 and a 70-200mm 2.8 is a good basic setup. You can't go wrong with a 50mm 1.4 either.

... or Canon 550D, 60D or up depending on your budget. Or Pentax. Or...

Best thing is to try them: they give more or less the same quality (depending on how much you spend), so don't be fooled by brand fans, choose the one that best fit your hands, with menus that best fit your mind. Basics of dSLR are always the same and are a major step from a compact camera (provided you want to do some manual work).

I do not think there is a true answer for best price and quality. Actually, it is better for you to set a budget. Then look for cameras that are within your budget. (new or used)

You may have questions during your researching. Feel free to come back and ask.

Do go to a local store (if any) and check out the cameras in person. And dpreview.com is a great camera review site.

I am seeking advice from an expert regarding buying a SLR camera. I have never used one before but I really enjoy taking pictures when I travel. My current Lumix is okay but I want better focus and quality. I want to know when is the best time to buy a camera, in terms of deals (also where to buy them). Also, which camera(s) are the best price and quality wise, because I don't want to spend a lot of money as a beginner.

Thanks you for your time!
Better focus is more a function of technique and lens quality.
The best time to buy a camera was Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving.
The best place to buy a camera changes almost daily so you have to use the Internet to keep track of prices at vaious outlets.

As far as "which camera(s) are the best price and quality wise", that depends on your budget.

Your Lumix is a quality camera and is probably the right camera for you.

I suspect the real issue is, you don't yet know how to use the Lumix effectively.

You're welcome.

Last edited:
I suggest buying a used camera. Ebay is a good source, just make sure you're buying from someone that accepts returns.

Right now the best nikon deal is a used D80, which you can buy with a lens for $400 or less.

If you're looking at nikon, make sure to buy a camera with a AF motor--even if it means going towards older models or spending a bit more. The AF motor will save you $$ on lenses in the future.

Nikon D40 then see how you go. The D40 keeps its price so if you really get into photography you can sell it on and upgrade. You may not need to though as the D40 is exceptional:thumbup:

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
One post, never bothered to reply back? I think he needs to stay with Point & Shoot cameras. ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back