I am thinking of giving up University to become a Photographer

i think you must completed your studies before.photography is you passion so you can continue it with studies also.and as you completed your education than you can start whatever you want.i am saying because you gonaa giving up that's why otherwise if you are a fresher than photography itself has a big field where you can make your career.

Why on Earth can't you do *both*??? :scratch:
whos got the time.with all the late night benders and whatnot.

Just kidding. I agree with the change of focus to business or marketing. Hell, even graphic arts. Of course "tuition, or a 500mm f/4 IS lens" would definately be a tough choice.

I'm a little late on this one, but I agree with others on staying in school. Plans change, having a degree does not.

I'm just getting into this as a hobby, but I have a older friend who is a wedding photographer, which he enjoys and does well at. He said he wouldn't encourage his children to follow because you lose every weekend evening. I realize that this isn't the only photography job out there, but it is just something to think about.

Most schools (in the US at least), require a certain amount of non-major credits, why not take a photography class that will count toward your degree?

Good luck,
Scott

Why on Earth can't you do *both*??? :scratch:

Seriously.

Try going for a degree that might help you in the future, regardless of what field you end up in. Especially with the economy the way it is, you might as well have a backup plan.

do both... hone your skills on photography on weekend and your free time. That's what I did and I finished college. =)

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned, but does your school have a student newspaper or some other student-run publication? See if you can work with them to gain experience. You might have to start off as a volunteer assistant, but that's how you're going to have to start anyway. As you gain experience you might get a paid position - not much, but maybe worth a couple of extra beers each month. You'll also start off on the assignments no one else wants (for good reason), but eventually you could be assigned to the 'dream' events - where you would get in for free and get access that the average joe would die for.

I know this is a photographer forum but I'm going to have to act as a father figure here.
STOP! STAY IN SCHOOL!
I wanted to be a rock star and didn't go to university. A DAH!!!!!!!!
I came very close with a original band out of Connecticut US.
As time passed I had to provide for my family - which I know your not thinking about - and was forced into the carpentry and construction trades and never looked back. OUCH!!!!!
Had I taken my fathers offer to train to become an ultra sound tech Well,...you get the point?
STAY IN SCHOOL! "PLEASE"
GET YOUR DEGREE

Can you give me some advice as to how to gain these skills?
That question indicates you are not a self starter.

Perhaps books to read?
Go to your universities library(s). They will have various books on the subjects I mentioned. Most cites and towns also have libraries.

If you're not familiar with how to use a library, a librarian will be happy to help you.

The forum also has a search feature that few seem to ever use: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...eviews/233407-favorite-photography-books.html

And of course today we have the Internet and Internet search engines.

Last edited:
trolling.jpg

Professionally, stay in school...forget about photography, don't start it, don't dream about it, don't even attempt to take family event shots. In that way I can have more of a chance at a spot. Its just too damn overcrowded.:lol:

I know I'm just echoing everyone else's sentiment, but you should stay in school. You started, so why not just finish. Photography will always be there, and there are many many ways to learn the art. I'm learning on my own in my spare time, doing lots of reading and shooting whenever I can. In my experience, it's been the best way to learn and it didn't cost me a dime (other than gear, etc.). On the side, you can volunteer for school or local newspapers, or join a photography club or meetup where you can interact with other people like you.

It's tough out there, especially for professions where a real entrepreneurial spirit is required, like photography. It doesn't seem worth it to drop something very valuable when you don't have to at all.

Study the photography job market and prospects...

You'll realize really quickly that a fall back plan is absolutely necessary. Stay in school.

Stay in school and keep photography as a hobby.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back