I can't stand Sony cameras, but..

Sw1tchFX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
..The A33/55 are pretty darn cool products.

pelliclemirror.jpg

Sony unveils SLT A55 and A33 with translucent mirror technology: Digital Photography Review

Has anyone here used the Canon or Nikon with the pellicle mirror in it?

I've seen some of the AF tracking video with it, and it's absolutely stunning to see it work. I've never seen AF like that in video.

I can't wait till we see the sony rep at the store, I'm hoping this new SLT is a winner, everyone seems to like them, it's the only Sony product on DPReview that didn't get a sh*t rating.

I just hope that they're built more solid than what they've been doing. If they still have the same weak construction as the other Alpha bodies, that'd be a huge turn-off. I'm also a little concerned about the focus system, I can't stand the minolta focus system and from what i've worked with, the low end sonys with fast lenses have a hard time doing accurate focus.

Exciting to say the least!

10 fps is nothing to laugh at. And yeah, it seems like Canon and Nikon don't have the balls to release something similar.

Sample images didn't look that great, though.

:thumbup: / :thumbdown:

I don't what it is with Sony, but all of the bodies I have held just feel like a very cheap toy. They are on par with, or inferior to the feel of the P&S's I have owned in the past.

That is something basic they need to work on. Make a camera that feels solid in your hands and not like toy.

10 fps is pretty good and Sony's AF has always been very quick, as far as I know, but...

Electronic viewfinder with 1.15 million dot resolution
Uh... yeah, no thanks. What is the point of even having a mirror if you don't need it for a real viewfinder?

I don't even use the 6 on my 50D so no way I would buy it for 10. How about Sony learns how to make a decent SLR and add something useful like a DoF preview button and maybe a increase in image quality a better menu system where buttons are not just tossed where ever they thought they would fit. Sony should asked Nikon nicely for help on doing SLR's. Maybe they get lucky and be granted some pointers lol. O h forgot to add here is a free tip for them. Drop the STUPID MEMORY STICK DUO! Nobody uses those crappy things. I would go back to the old Olympus cards first.

10 fps is pretty good and Sony's AF has always been very quick, as far as I know, but...

Electronic viewfinder with 1.15 million dot resolution
Uh... yeah, no thanks. What is the point of even having a mirror if you don't need it for a real viewfinder?

I believe these new Sony SLT are mirrorless, that's why they use electronic viewfinder.

From what dpreview tested, ISO 1600 and up is not that great. That's pretty sad considering 1600/2500 iso these days are very usuable in most DSLR.

I was wondering when someone would put a pellicle mirror in a digital body...

I use a Canon 1N RS (35mm), which has a pellicle mirror, it was doing 10 fps 15 years ago...
Not having to move a mirror helps a lot for frame rate.

I am interested to see what these new cameras can do. Although I don't know if I like them having an electric view finder. One of the big reason I wanted to upgrade from a P&S, is because I wanted a real viewfinder. Still would like to get a hold of one.

As for Sony cameras, they aren't the greatest, but they aren't terrible. I have an A230, and why it's not the best, it was 30% cheaper then any other new DSLR on the market.

Hmm, if they don't have to move a mirror, that would be awesome for flash sync speed right? I mean for some it would be worth it if we could hit a sync of say 1/2000
Sync speed is limited by the shutter, not the mirror. The max sync speed is the fastest speed that both curtains are open at the same time.

Last edited:
ahh blast... I knew that wasn't thinking when I posted. Now... I still think it would be nice if they'd go back to a electronic shutter if they have the capability just for the sync speed.

A pellicle mirror is still cool though. No viewfinder blackout is cool - and after you're used to it, a regular camera seems a little weird. You can see the flash during exposure, so there's never any question of if it went off or not.

You can see if there's camera shake as you're exposing. You can see if the subject moved.

The 1N RS can't AF during exposure (not sure if that Sony can, doubt it though), but you can manually track a moving subject during exposure.

It also makes panning a hell of a lot easier when you can see the subject during the exposure.

It takes a little getting used to, but once you're used to it, it's pretty cool.

The only bad thing I can see about having a pellicle mirror on a digital body is that it would be impossible to clean the sensor... There would be no way to move the mirror out of the way. I'm not sure how they plan to get around that, and we all know that eventually - that sensor will need cleaning.

Last edited:
I believe these new Sony SLT are mirrorless, that's why they use electronic viewfinder.
SLT = Single Lens Translucent. The "translucent" part indicating the mirror specification. The whole point of having a pellicle mirror is that you can have a real view finder without the mirror having to flip up for each shot. It's one less thing to break, it gives you faster FPS performance, requires no viewfinder black-out and is much quieter.

The EVF is completely ruinous and silly for this purpose.

I still think it would be nice if they'd go back to a electronic shutter if they have the capability just for the sync speed
That only works for CCD sensors, which can charge and discharge the whole frame in only a few milliseconds. CMOS sensors, as far as I'm aware, can only shutter one line at a time, which is why DSLR videos always have that "jello" effect in anything that moves faster than a walking pace.

The only bad thing I can see about having a pellicle mirror on a digital body is that it would be impossible to clean the sensor... There would be no way to move the mirror out of the way. I'm not sure how they plan to get around that, and we all know that eventually - that sensor will need cleaning.
Or... maybe they sealed the area between the mirror and sensor? No dirty sensor ever! :)

Or... maybe they sealed the area between the mirror and sensor? No dirty sensor ever! :)
Maybe. I know that on the 1N RS, the mirror pretty much seals off the front side of the shutter. So, in theory, it should never get dirty.

I would still be worried that eventually, something would work it's way onto the sensor. Then what? ...It's not like you can open the back and get to it that way.

The EVF is completely ruinous and silly for this purpose.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on this design....

m4/3rds systems are totally designed with the EVF in mind in order to reduce body size. What's the purpose of using EVF in this design if you still have a mirror box (even though its a pellicle.

I'd have to give sony the benefit of the doubt but both my E-PL1 and G1 (as much as I like them) are worthless in continuous mode. Its worse than blackout from traditional design.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back