What's new

I don't do HDR...

Bend The Light

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Jun 8, 2010
Messages
2,591
Reaction score
375
Location
Barnsley, Oop-Nooerth, UK
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...but once I'd taken this (Cusworth Hall, Doncaster), i thought it'd be decent to try with. I used Topaz to do it. What do you think? I know i cropped the side buildings, but that was because this is a panorama which was quite distorted (I was down the slope, looking up at the house) and in correcting THAT distortion, i lost some of the building. The shape is still not "quite" right...but the HDR is what i want you to talk to me about. ;)


Cusworth Hall by http://bendthelight.me.uk, on Flickr
 
Seeing a wide halo around the main building.
 
when i first saw HDR images i wanted that to be my life's passion... not anymore :l after spending so much time on here i feel HDR's can ruin good photos.

this, is however a very nice HDR.

lyonsroar what do you mean a halo? or is that some form of clever remark ;P
 
when i first saw HDR images i wanted that to be my life's passion... not anymore :l after spending so much time on here i feel HDR's can ruin good photos.

this, is however a very nice HDR.

lyonsroar what do you mean a halo? or is that some form of clever remark ;P

I find it difficult to acheive a decent HDR, without halos, and where it looks not completely fake, like a "colouring in"! I am not really comfortable with them, so if you say this is a decent attempt, I am happy. :)

Thanks
 
guessing its not the clever remark.. what exactly is a halo? just for the sake of knowing

There'd be an area of the sky around the edges of the building which would be lighter, like the halo of light around a saint's head, if you like. In my opinion, poor HDR has loads of them, which is why I don't do them...but I had another go, and I don't see halos...
 
The "halo" is most apparent at the edges of the main building and the sky.
The sky is lightest at the edge of the building.

I prefer the usage of HDR to recover extreme shadow and highlight exposure ... though there is usage of HDR to add a more artistic effect to an image.
I think this one falls closer to the second.
 
The "halo" is most apparent at the edges of the main building and the sky.
The sky is lightest at the edge of the building.

I prefer the usage of HDR to recover extreme shadow and highlight exposure ... though there is usage of HDR to add a more artistic effect to an image.
I think this one falls closer to the second.

i am inclined to agree with this - i have taken pictures (ex:halfdome) where i wanted to maintain the shadowing and contrast, and producing an HDR turned out nicely. this image as an HDR is done very artistically.

still can't see the halo, can anyone provide a very obvious example of an HDR w/ a halo?
 
halos.... nice..

anyways, I love the shot. Great compo and symmetry and I like the subtle HDR. Definitely easy to ruin a shot with HDR. I am a big fan of artistic buildings and such like this, so mad propz. also love the color contrast and the sky is pure awesome
 
halos.... nice..

anyways, I love the shot. Great compo and symmetry and I like the subtle HDR. Definitely easy to ruin a shot with HDR. I am a big fan of artistic buildings and such like this, so mad propz. also love the color contrast and the sky is pure awesome

Thanks. :)
 
This image has a halo...all above the trees is lighter than the rest of the sky:

hdr | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

not saying this guy has done badly, it looks ok, but there is a halo.


ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! i was looking for an actual ellipse of some kind.. that makes much more sense
 
I don't consider this subtle HDR, I actually think it's quite heavy
but done right.

Thanks. No, I don't think this is subtle, which is why I was asking for critique...it's not what I usually like, but I thought I should have a go. Having said that, it's subtle compared to some!!
:)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom