I don't get HDR

matfoster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
be interested to get some input from people who specialize in HDR, who love it, who can offer links or examples of really top-draw stuff. it seems HDR is here to stay and i'd like to find some aspect of it to feel better about.

HDR - what do you like about it?

Last edited:
I like when it's done without people realizing it's HDR. I'm not a fan of the cartoon looking shots but it makes a big difference when you have a shot done the way it was meant to be. This is my first decent HDR (bracketed shots). I avoided the cartoon look but still managed to gain detail in the river while having a sunny sky.

18651_295181066670_618336670_3987882_2061197_n.jpg

I like how quick and easy it is to pull details out of areas that normally wouldn't show them, even with .jpg. I used to like the surreal look, and occasionally I'll mess around with it, but I like it now to bring out what's normally lost. It's just another tool in the toolbox.
I'm no expert, and I certainly don't think my stuff is awesome, but I've got a few I've ran through photomatix that I'm pretty happy with. Here's a couple of examples.

main.php

main.php

main.php

I like when it's done without people realizing it's HDR. I'm not a fan of the cartoon looking shots but it makes a big difference when you have a shot done the way it was meant to be. This is my first decent HDR (bracketed shots). I avoided the cartoon look but still managed to gain detail in the river while having a sunny sky.

18651_295181066670_618336670_3987882_2061197_n.jpg

'the cartoon look' is a good expression for other aspects of it. i can see the benefit in your picture. using it in a very controlled way is good IMO. i do often see partially blown skies in HDR though. is this something people accept for the buzz of the wider experience?

I like how quick and easy it is to pull details out of areas that normally wouldn't show them, even with .jpg. I used to like the surreal look, and occasionally I'll mess around with it, but I like it now to bring out what's normally lost. It's just another tool in the toolbox.
I'm no expert, and I certainly don't think my stuff is awesome, but I've got a few I've ran through photomatix that I'm pretty happy with. Here's a couple of examples.

main.php

main.php

main.php

i do like all three of these images. they look photographic. i saw your hammerbeam picture a little earlier. it instantly reminded me of Orton filter in GIMP (sandwiched layers of sharp and soft). you could dodge the shadows of the roof but i appreciate there's more visual data liftable from an additional exposure metered from the ceiling/roof of the chapel.

I still wasn't able to completely get the sky I wanted. It's still a little blown out near the sun but I wanted the focus on the river anyway. I can see a use for the cartoon look if its something such as a car or other subjects that are in your life everyday. But in my opinion, if you are shooting someplace far away and you can't go back, why not get the best shot you can get? I wish I knew about HDR a year ago... I'd love to improve my skills on it though.

Well im glad that it is "Yurt" worthy and that it qualifies as a "Folky Textile". :p

Most reactions

Back