I don't get how people can say there's a better camera than the a33/a35 below $700...

I happen to have a lot of issues with Sony's implementation proprietary peripherals, as well as their track record on customer service.

Hence why I will never buy another Sony camera, or product. Ever.

With the A700 going for $100 more than the 30D upon its release, there's plenty of reasons to go with the 30D.

Your walkman eat your tape or something?

I happen to have a lot of issues with Sony's implementation proprietary peripherals, as well as their track record on customer service.

With the A700 going for $100 more than the 30D upon its release, there's plenty of reasons to go with the 30D.

No, I just don't have my head up Sony's rectum. Sony has wronged me in the past. Apparently they haven't wronged you, or you just haven't figured it out yet.

Honestly...the entry-level Canon and Nikon cameras are NOTHING to brag about...small, horrible pentamirror viewfinders...average (to worse) AF in video mode...simplified controls and more menu-mining just to adjust basic stuff...Sony can compete with low-end Canon and Nikon cameras.

No, I just don't have my head up Sony's rectum. Sony has wronged me in the past. Apparently they haven't wronged you, or you just haven't figured it out yet.

What exactly happened to you? I have to know now. I have never seen anyone hate a company so much.

Honestly...the entry-level Canon and Nikon cameras are NOTHING to brag about...small, horrible pentamirror viewfinders...average (to worse) AF in video mode...simplified controls and more menu-mining just to adjust basic stuff...Sony can compete with low-end Canon and Nikon cameras.

They seem to be able to compete in the midrange as well and the high end. Wonder why Nikon decided to use their chips?

What exactly happened to you? I have to know now. I have never seen anyone hate a company so much.

Betamax, mini disc, UMD, memory stick, root files on CDs, etc.

Proprietary everything is stupid.

I happen to have a lot of issues with Sony's implementation proprietary peripherals, as well as their track record on customer service. Hence why I will never buy another Sony camera, or product. Ever.
Man, Tyler. Nobody likes the Maxxum hot shoe, but you must REALLY hate it! I wouldn't buy a new Sony DSLR either. They depreciate very rapidly and just don't make investment sense. I'm not really supporting Sony, at least not financially, by buying a used Sony camera. There really isn't anything proprietary on my a350 other than the hot shoe, which is more of an annoyance than a hindrance - and adapters cost like nine bucks domestic. The NEX series, aside from the 7, is another story.

Betamax, mini disc, UMD, memory stick, root files on CDs, etc. Proprietary everything is stupid.
What does MD and Betamax have to do with the a700?

Yeah. But I was talking about the a700 as a viable body, and nothing about Sony as a company. Sony also participated in plenty of other non-proprietary technologies, including bluray, iirc. And if you have not noticed, whenever Sony attempts proprietary technologies it fails miserably, so it's kind of beside the point.

Yeah. But I was talking about the a700 as a viable body, and nothing about Sony as a company. Sony also participated in plenty of other non-proprietary technologies, including bluray, iirc. And if you have not noticed, whenever Sony attempts proprietary technologies it fails miserably, so it's kind of beside the point.

No dude, that's totally the whole point as to why I won't buy into Sony's BS. Maybe it's beside the point for you, but not for everyone.

Not bad. $700 is a pretty good chunk of money though. I know I could buy a better camera for that (probably three better cameras). Better for me is probably not better for you though. ;)

It's all relative.

I'm talking new cameras for the new user.

New to me, is new to me. Regardless of the age of said device.

Last edited:
No dude, that's totally the whole point as to why I won't buy into Sony's BS. Maybe it's beside the point for you, but not for everyone.
The subdiscussion at hand is if the a700 and the a900 are decent bodies on a technical level. If Minolta made these bodies then there would be no politics and they'd receive the same kind of reception as the 7d had, which at the time was very positive despite relatively poor sales. Whether you would buy them or not has nothing to do with if they are "amongst the best" at their time and class. I don't care if you got burned by Sony. Nobody does. It's just spam.

Tyler. I like you enough; despite that you're completely nonobjective in these discussions.

betamax!!!!! LMFAO!!!!! Well I cant fault that logic.

I don't get how people can't see past what they have in front of them. Technology based companies make stuff, which is then replaced by new stuff. The cycle will continue and be endless.

Most reactions

Back