I don't understand Instagram

I get the impression that Instagram users are more likely to be using their phones as cameras, but otherwise that's not so far from the truth :)

IMO it's a site for snap-shooters rather than photographers. Some creative subjects but very little that would look good printed as a 10x8. I have no wish to 'get Instagram', it comes much lower in my priorities than Facebook, and I know at least 10 photo forums that rank well above Facebook!

The Pope just signed up. That changes everything!

It's just another form of social media. If I were selling something, I would definitely use it as another media that has millions of potential viewers/clients.

The Pope just signed up. That changes everything!

It's just another form of social media. If I were selling something, I would definitely use it as another media that has millions of potential viewers/clients.
And run the risk of having the Pope call and ask for a discounted session? Not me.. lol

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

You guys can make fun of instagram all you like, but I know people that make money using it. It's a form of exposure with millions of users. To dismiss it so easily because you "think" it's just about food and cats is a bad move.

^ this. I've started working with gear sponsors, sold prints, gotten gigs with a major car company, etc. all through Instagram. Pretty much every big landscape photographer I know has started focusing more on IG (rather than FB) over the last year and those of you who think it's only for cat photos and cell phone shots are seriously missing out

You guys can make fun of instagram all you like, but I know people that make money using it. It's a form of exposure with millions of users. To dismiss it so easily because you "think" it's just about food and cats is a bad move.

^ this. I've started working with gear sponsors, sold prints, gotten gigs with a major car company, etc. all through Instagram. Pretty much every big landscape photographer I know has started focusing more on IG (rather than FB) over the last year and those of you who think it's only for cat photos and cell phone shots are seriously missing out

Same. I've worked with radio stations, gear companies, and many others simply because of instagram. The number of sales and partnerships I've gotten from Instagram make it entirely worth it. Not only is it a place to host photos, but it connects me with millions of users and allows me to get more exposure than places like facebook. It doesn't cost me anything (except a bit of time), and has made me money. Dismissing it is foolish, but do as you wish.

Jake

Social networking, regardless of what platform, should serve a purpose for your business. For me, it's to build that perceived value. After all, I sell intangible items. The more in demand I am, the more I can sell. For others, it's an efficient way to reach a lot of clients quickly and efficiently.

For some reason, all I see on my IG is Kardashian and Rihanna booty pics. Must be my settings. Hope the Pope doesn't run into the same problem.

Last edited:
I get the impression that Instagram users are more likely to be using their phones as cameras, but otherwise that's not so far from the truth :)

IMO it's a site for snap-shooters rather than photographers. Some creative subjects but very little that would look good printed as a 10x8. I have no wish to 'get Instagram', it comes much lower in my priorities than Facebook, and I know at least 10 photo forums that rank well above Facebook!

You do have to upload photos using your phone, but it doesn't necessarily have to be taken with your phone. I move photos from my X100T with wifi to my phone, edit in vscocam, and upload to instagram. I also download my Leica/Nikon film photos from my online stuff and upload to instagram. There are literally thousands of other 'serious' photographers doing the same thing. There is a lot of good work on there, maybe you're just not seeing it, or don't care to.

I guess it just comes down to whether you're (generally speaking, not just you) willing to search for what you want to see, and not just expect it to be spoon fed on the explore page, because it's most likely there somewhere.

ac901dd3a7b206f762b7db3a301fe87efff66d56aaf32a217b9c489cede2bb40.jpg

According to an on-line IG guru whose three-video blast I watched last week, HASHTAGGING your images, in the comments, NOT directly in your caption, is the understood way to draw followers. You upload an image and them immediately hashtag it with the maximum allowable number of tags, 30, and then wait for the followers to come rolling in. ( lol )

Was that video filmed recently? Instagram changed their rules, now the photo doesn't get bumped, it gets added to the hashtag pool based on the time the photo was originally uploaded, not the time the hashtag was added. So, being as many of those hashtags have photos being posted literally every couple seconds, it's best to add them as quickly as you can after the photo is uploaded so it doesn't get buried in the muck. And you can't get quicker than the description.
gckless is correct. you want to have all 30 hashtags already added to the description before you post, as most instagram feeds are quick moving. and your post's spot in the feed depends on when it was created, not when it was edited or commented on. there is a surge of activity when you first post, and it quickly dwindles -- in a matter of minutes or even seconds.

According to an on-line IG guru whose three-video blast I watched last week, HASHTAGGING your images, in the comments, NOT directly in your caption, is the understood way to draw followers. You upload an image and them immediately hashtag it with the maximum allowable number of tags, 30, and then wait for the followers to come rolling in. ( lol )

Was that video filmed recently? Instagram changed their rules, now the photo doesn't get bumped, it gets added to the hashtag pool based on the time the photo was originally uploaded, not the time the hashtag was added. So, being as many of those hashtags have photos being posted literally every couple seconds, it's best to add them as quickly as you can after the photo is uploaded so it doesn't get buried in the muck. And you can't get quicker than the description.
gckless is correct. you want to have all 30 hashtags already added to the description before you post, as most instagram feeds are quick moving. and your post's spot in the feed depends on when it was created, not when it was edited or commented on. there is a surge of activity when you first post, and it quickly dwindles -- in a matter of minutes or even seconds.

Not for long, though. Instagram is going to start algorithmically processing feeds, similar to how Facebook does it. It will no longer be chronological...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back