I dont want to sound really stupid but...

I own a S3 IS. Ive been extremely happy with it. Its been a great tool, and has helped me understand exposure. Im currently saving for my first dslr as I mainly shoot motocross and want less noise. But I would highly recommend the S5 with my experience with the S3.

Go for the Pentax K100D Check around I bought it with a rebate at a local store...

Take your SD card (I think they all use SD nowadays?), go play with some at Best Buy, or somewhere. Take card home and play with in PS.

My wife has the SD8xxIS (850 or 800, I forget). I think it was around $350, BUT there was a model that was $289.

:lol: HE SAID 300 USD :lol:

Good grief, all you guys talking about DSLRs going way way over 300 USD, lol.

Anyways I'm not too familiar with P&S cameras these days, but I do know t hat Canon makes good stuff. I've heard lots of good things about the S5 IS. I also like their A-series stuff that runs on AA's, like the A570IS. Okay and now an "over 300" DSLR pitch. I saw a used D40 go for about 280 the other day body only, and you can pickup used 18-55 lenses for 60. That would put you at 340 USD and that includes shipping and everything. Might have to stalk stuff for awhile, but doable. Ditto for a Canon Digital Rebel. The 18-55 kit lenses for both of those will do pretty decent 1:3.2 macro too.

I've never heard of an A712. Perhaps you meant the Canon A720 IS?

The A720 is a good possibility, it has image quality as good as the most expensive Canon compacts, full manual controls, 35-210mm equivalent lens, and it's selling for under $200. Because it runs on two AA batteries, flash recycle times are slow (5-8 sec), but it has a good on-board flash and more control over the flash than just about any point & shoot camera.

Sorry, yes, I had a brain fart (I have the A710 IS... the previous model, it is excellent).

I just Picked up a Canon PowerShot SX100 is from bestbuy.

I have have shot with the rebel xti before and really want to get into the dslr but just cant really spend that cash just yet... for now 249 + 39 for accidental coverage worked out nice..

Still playing with to see what I think of it but for now it seems to be compact enough to carry around but plently powerful enought to get a great shot.

Just dont like the fact of no veiwfinder...but well see if I can get past that..

Most reactions

Back