Congratulations on the third place out of 104--that's really good. As far as the B&W, I can spot several things that would cost this image a lot of points in judging. First off, the composition does not feel well-balanced--there's a bit of "pull" created by the placement of the objects and by the 75% of the right hand side of the frame being rendered out of focus. A second area is the handling and representation of the highlights and the blacks; the highlights on the cable coupling are blown out and detail-free, and the bottom edge of the coupling is rendered as inky black and detail-free as well. The overall contrast is too high for this type of industrial still life,and the mid-tones also lack microcontrast.
On the right hand side, the out of focus areas begin very close to the bottom of the frame,and go up the right hand side. On the cable itself, the highlights are very hot and specular,and old,rusty cable's highlights should not be rendered that way. The third area is the nature of the lens this was shot with--the lens has very severe bokeh of a type known as "hashy" or "nervous", and looks very typical of what Canon's 50mm 1.8 renders, due to its optical design and clunky 5-sided diaphragm opening. As the cable goes out of focus, you can see the highlights beginning to render as double-highlights. The same thing happens along the highlights on those bars or whatever along the right hand side. This photo is a specific type of genre that is pretty well-known, and the depth of field is too shallow to render enough of the scene in good focus, and the lens's drawing style is very "ugly". I'm going to guess that this shot was done with your Canon 50/1.8, just based on the harsh bokeh.
I don't want to appear to be bashing on the B&W image, but these are the technical and artistic reasons that I would mark this print down on if *I* were judging it in a print competition; Excessive scene contrast, lack of local contrast, inadequate depth of field, and use of a lens with a very harsh, hashy bokeh characteristics. The depth of field is simply inadequate to "show us" or allow us to immerse ourselves in 75% of the scene. No offense is meant by this, but the Canon 50/1.8 has about the worst bokeh of any normal lens I have ever owned, and I have owned many 50-55-58-60mm lenses. A lens with really good bokeh would have made this industrial still life a lot more eye-pleasing, as would have simply stopping down enough to render at last 90 percent of the frame area in good focus.
This "type" of industrial still life has a language all its own,and print judging has some definite criteria that this image does not quite meet. If this had been photographed with a lens like,say, the Nikkor 45-P on an adapter ring and shot at f/13, I think the image would have been much more pleasing to look at.