i feel bad...

JohnMF

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
my friends dad died the other day, and as i work for a newspaper, he asked me to sort an obit out with my staff discount. He dictated the wording he wanted over the phone and i wrote it down on a piece of paper, but i miss-heard some of the words. not only that, but i folded the piece paper i wrote it on in half, meaning only half the advert/obit went in the paper.

Now all his family are really pissed off and upset and it's all my fault. I've told them i will try and get it fixed and put in the newspaper again correctly, for free. Realistically this means i'm going to end up paying for it. it's about £200 and i can't afford it... it's really stressing me out... i'm never going to try and do anyone a favour again, which is probably for the best. it's just not worth it

It was funny when it happened to Larry in that episode of Curb "Beloved Aunt". Not so funny when something similar happens to you. :(

sorry, just need to get that off my chest

Are you any better now - in the morning?
I'd be mortified if I were in your shoes.
Sorry that no one can really help you but ... hey ... while it feels awful now, it won't feel that way any more when ... say: Christmas comes. Hm?

thanks. lets hope not.

got the funeral tomorrow. not looking forward to that

man thats a bad situation to be in... the first thing i thought of was curb to be honest!... i didn't watch much of that actually, but that clip your on about has been shown a few times on other things!.. and luckely, no, your mistake wasn't as bad as that!

But, joking aside that does suck dude... doing people favours can always end up up costiing you more time, money or grief than you bargained for.... but lets just hope karma comes and gives you something back.*

(*a cheque for £200 would be a good start) :p

tell me about it. no more favours from me...

i put the notice back in the paper the next day, hopefully correct this time, but haven't heard nothing back yet. not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Unfortunately some life experiences really suck, but that's what they are, experiences, things to learn from.

What you tried to do was very decent and kind and it's very unfortunate it didn't work out how it should have.

You can decide to avoid doing favours in the future or learn from the mistake and make sure it doesn't happen to you again. Either way you can't undo what's already happened so although you feel bad you shouldn't dwell on it too long.

thanks Plastic

Have to say, a week later and i still feel cut up about this. It's a horrible feeling messing up like that. I went the funeral but just stayed anonymous at the back of the church.

Haven't spoken to my mate since either so i haven't had any feed-back on if they were happy or not with the second one. I done what i could to rectify the situation. Just hope they see that.

A mate of mine was doing the DJ ing and messed up at my in-laws Silver wedding anniversary.

As they took to the floor for their anniversary dance he played "Steps-Tragedy!" :shock:

Still remind him of it to this day but the horror has now turned to embarrassment!

A mate of mine was doing the DJ ing and messed up at my in-laws Silver wedding anniversary.

As they took to the floor for their anniversary dance he played "Steps-Tragedy!" :shock:

Still remind him of it to this day but the horror has now turned to embarrassment!

shouldn't laugh really...

:lol:

I'm sure as time passes the family will forget it even happened or perhaps even find it humorous if they have a good sense of humor. Either way, I doubt the family will hold a grudge over a fudged obituary, most people remember relatives by the years they've lived as opposed to a paragraph about when they died and where the funeral will be.

I hope you can forgive yourself and understand it was an honest mistake. Try getting together with your friend and not even talking about your slip-up.

I'm sure as time passes the family will forget it even happened or perhaps even find it humorous if they have a good sense of humor. Either way, I doubt the family will hold a grudge over a fudged obituary, most people remember relatives by the years they've lived as opposed to a paragraph about when they died and where the funeral will be.

I hope you can forgive yourself and understand it was an honest mistake. Try getting together with your friend and not even talking about your slip-up.

yes, i suppose you're right.

thanks

Most reactions

Back