I finally bought my dream lens for well under market value!

NedM

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
After being in the market for a Canon 85mm f/1.2L II for several months now, I finally found one used for $800. That's a steal, right?

I see them selling used on eBay for around $1150-1300 depending on the condition of the lens and I was shocked when I found one selling for $800! I immediately reached out to the seller and took it off his hands. It's in practically new condition and the elements are clean. (Came with OEM lens hood and pouch!) No signs of fungi or internal dust particles, the focus ring is smooth and it's as sharp as a thumb tac!

Are there any quirks or tips I should know about using this lens? This isn't my first L lens and probably not my last, so I have some idea what to expect from it. Overall, I'm just really happy and wanted to share my purchase!

I love a good bargain, even a Canon one ;)

After being in the market for a Canon 85mm f/1.2L II for several months now, I finally found one used for $800. That's a steal, right?

I see them selling used on eBay for around $1150-1300 depending on the condition of the lens and I was shocked when I found one selling for $800! I immediately reached out to the seller and took it off his hands. It's in practically new condition and the elements are clean. (Came with OEM lens hood and pouch!) No signs of fungi or internal dust particles, the focus ring is smooth and it's as sharp as a thumb tac!

Are there any quirks or tips I should know about using this lens? This isn't my first L lens and probably not my last, so I have some idea what to expect from it. Overall, I'm just really happy and wanted to share my purchase!

I bet that baby draws nice. Congrats on the new glass

yes, considering that's half the price of a new 85mm f1.2L II
be sure you thoroughly check it out before buying
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Enjoy the new toy

See it. Grab it. Win!

I bet that baby draws nice. Congrats on the new glass

I have yet to use it, but I do have a shoot lined up for today and you bet your bottom dollar I'll be using!

Since buying the lens, I have learned quite a few things, one thing in particular.

Focus by wire system. I did not realize there were different types of focusing systems and I was just taken aback when I found this out. Of course, you can imagine how freaked out I was when I didn't know why the focusing wasn't working until I read some forums and realized the lens needed to be activated by some electronic signal. Mind-boggling.

WOW good pirce. But you really want version II. They have the new Canon 85 f1.4 L IS that is great. You should check it out!

OH! I did not realize there was a new 85mm from Canon AND with IS. Perhaps, I'll sell my 85mm for $1200 and just shell out a few hundred bucks to get myself that bad boy!

WOW good pirce. But you really want version II. They have the new Canon 85 f1.4 L IS that is great. You should check it out!

OH! I did not realize there was a new 85mm from Canon AND with IS. Perhaps, I'll sell my 85mm for $1200 and just shell out a few hundred bucks to get myself that bad boy!
yes :) there is a good and improved version. Check it ot! Cheeers!

A couple of years ago, I rented the 85mm f/1.2L to do a wedding. In all the weddings I've done, this was the first time I had a wedding cancel due to cold feet. Everybody teases the groom about "last chance to get away" and all that... I never had one actually DO that... until that wedding.

Anyway... just this past Xmas... my other half bought me the new 85mm f/1.4L IS USM (completely surprised me.) :)

A couple of years ago, I rented the 85mm f/1.2L to do a wedding. In all the weddings I've done, this was the first time I had a wedding cancel due to cold feet. Everybody teases the groom about "last chance to get away" and all that... I never had one actually DO that... until that wedding.

Anyway... just this past Xmas... my other half bought me the new 85mm f/1.4L IS USM (completely surprised me.) :)

Oh, wow. I mean, as unfortunate as it was, I would like to know what happened after? Curious.

How are you liking it? :D

Most reactions

Back