I had an idea for a shoot - -

I like number 5 the best. Maybe with the gloves at the front of the stump, one laying over the edge, the other tossed onto it and then the log and chainsaw kinda turned on an angle and then you possible very low to the ground, on your belly for the photo.

From your reshoot, I prefer #1. I don't care for the orange of the chainsaw in the other two photos as its a tad over-powering I think. With a little softer lighting and perhaps with a little less DOF, number one would make for a fantastic black and white. This is just my opinion...Take it with a grain of salt. You're twice the camera man I am Ron.

I prefer #6, so far. I like the depth of field, and the contrast with the additional red in the picture makes the gloves stand out more. I like #5, too, though.

I think we need to take up a collection and get you some new gloves.
smiley_emoticons_applaus.gif

I think #1 is a good starting point Ron, but I would suggest turning the gloves the other way up, and adding an axe or maul to the scene.

And some blood for good measure.

Now that's a good idea...

Frankly, none of them do anything for me. As mentioned it seems like the gloves are the point of the shot but they are used so they can't be for an ad so... etc, etc.

Take the gloves out and there is basically nothing left. But the gloves are placed wrong in most of them imho. Showing some fingers, having them in two directions and one palm up while the second palm down might help. But not much really.

But you tried and you are learning something so it wasn't a useless exercise.

My intent was to show well worked gloves set aside while the worker took a break. The placement of the gloves was as I might lay them down in such a circumstance. I am not satisfied with the outcome but wish to thank everybody for the input & suggestions.

I know I'm late to the party, but if you decide to give it another shot, maybe try shooting from a lower perspective. If you could get the camera down to the same level the gloves are at and shoot straight level to them I think it could change everything. Looking down at them with the views you've done is the same view someone would have if they walked past them and probably wouldn't give them much notice.

I know I'm late to the party, but if you decide to give it another shot, maybe try shooting from a lower perspective. If you could get the camera down to the same level the gloves are at and shoot straight level to them I think it could change everything. Looking down at them with the views you've done is the same view someone would have if they walked past them and probably wouldn't give them much notice.

Good idea! Tomorrow is another day.

Do you have anything to seperate the gloves from the qood exposure wise? Flash? Reflector? Grab some tinfoil and make a small reflector!

Do you have anything to seperate the gloves from the qood exposure wise? Flash? Reflector? Grab some tinfoil and make a small reflector!

Sorry Jake, I do not understand what you mean.

Add some more light to the gloves, expose for that, thus dropping the exposure for the wood around it. Like overpowering the sun in a portrait.

Sorry Jake, I do not understand what you mean.
I'm going to assume that qood is a typo (probably meant 'wood' - the q is right next to the w.).

He just means to get more light (or less) on the gloves than the wood. Create some contrast.

Most reactions

Back