I had an idea for a shoot - -

Ron Evers

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
- I tried three compositions & I am not sure any work. What say you?

P1070808sm.jpg

P1070811sm.jpg

P1070814sm.jpg

Jupiter-8 (50/2)

Last edited:
I think #1 is a good starting point Ron, but I would suggest turning the gloves the other way up, and adding an axe or maul to the scene.

The gloves seem to be your object of interest. make them more of the focus. A close up shallow dof may be something to toy with for this idea.

I can see what you were going for , but they look a bit flat - the gloves almost disappear into the wood. I reckon this kind of shot would be better during the Golden Hour which would give the impression of a day's chopping finished. It would also cast some nicer light over the shot hopefully separate the gloves from the wood a bit more. Or, just get some different coloured gloves!

I think #1 is a good starting point Ron, but I would suggest turning the gloves the other way up, and adding an axe or maul to the scene.

After seeing it on the computer I had a similar thought, a block of wood on end with a piece split off & maul leaning against the the side. Raining now so a re-shoot must be delayed.

I don't 'get' the nails in the first one. The markings on the cut log is a huge distraction in the second pix. The third one is the best, and would gain a lot with the addition of an axe.

Sparky, I put wood up to the nails, my foot holding it against the nails as I cut to length with a chainsaw.

Not taking my camera out in the rain, can I borrow yours? ;)

Sparky, I put wood up to the nails, my foot holding it against the nails as I cut to length with a chainsaw.

Nothing wrong with that.... it's just I've never in my life seen nails in a stump like that so their purpose is lost to me.

Not taking my camera out in the rain, can I borrow yours? ;)

Any time you wanna stop by and pick it up.
_excited__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif
I can PM you my rental rates.

In that case, I think half of a log (with the end facing the camera) and a chainsaw thrown in might add a lot to it.

I do like #3 the most - the other two just seem like they're missing the tools.

When I think of woodsey, outdoor manly man stuff, I think really contrasty black and white with a super tight crop. Almost HDR, but in black and white.

Nice pics, and one thing for sure i'd rather being handling a camera rather than wearing those gloves and splitting winter wood
bigthumb.gif

Having the gloves face-up doesn't work for me, it seems too much like they're pleading. Putting them face-down would give the pictures more of a sense of completion ("the job is done and I'm off for a well-deserved rest").

I can see one way where having the gloves face-up would work - have one pile of wood ready to be split, a second pile of split logs in the background, and the gloves (and maybe your tools) in between.

You might get some interesting stories if you just have one glove present, too.

Well, I had another go, sticking to the original them but the sun is too high. I still have not nailed what I had in my mind last night.

4. not enough separation between wood & gloves.

P1070819sm.jpg

5. Don't know about this one, the gloves are lost in the frame.

P1070820sm.jpg

6. Probably the best so far.

P1070821sm.jpg

Helios 58/2

Most reactions

New Topics

Back