I had to try

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sorry mom, I had to snip your flower. :lol: So I took my mom's flower and cut it out of her garden to try and take a picture of it in side. The effect I was going for was the b/w effect with only the flower in light. However I wasn't sure how to go about lighting just the flower, so I did some PP and blacked out the black cardboard paper I had in the B/G. I was wondering your thoughts. here is one in color and b/w.

Flower by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Flower 2 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Same picture just different effects. little different crop

Flower by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

LAST ATTEMPT:

DSC_0080-2 by ZDiBeradin, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like it in color, but if the center was more in focus, it would have been perfect for me.

When you take shots like these, make sure it's in focus, or else just isn't usable. Blown yellows in the first one, under exposed in the last one. Re-shoot and get it in focus, watch the light, try to get the flower side lighted or something similar to show depth in the flower.

I'm not fond of flowers from the side. The first posted ones are oof, sorry. Not usable. Your dof seems very shallow, what f-stop are you shooting at.

I believe I was at a very low f stop. I couldn't get my camera to focus and take a picture. I had a good amount of light but couldn't figure out the problem. I'll try again today. This will be the biggest noon question. I know you can focus using single point and you select the little square in the viewfinder but after that all I do is half waydepress the shutter let it click/beep and fully press?

I believe I was at a very low f stop. I couldn't get my camera to focus and take a picture. I had a good amount of light but couldn't figure out the problem. I'll try again today. This will be the biggest noon question. I know you can focus using single point and you select the little square in the viewfinder but after that all I do is half waydepress the shutter let it click/beep and fully press?

You were too close, your lens has a minimum focus distance and you were beyond that. When you are too close the lens will search over and over. Look up the stats on your lens and be sure you are no closer than the minimum. Crop if you have to. F-stop should be around f7 or 8 in this scenario. Did you use off camera flash?
Also did you use layers or selectively black out the background?

cranked up the blacks on one, the other I did a hard layer on Photoshop and just filled in black.. Thanks for the information about the minimum focus distance, I wasn't sure about that. I will have to read up on it in my manual/internet!

I don't have OCF so I kinda just made this thing to see if it would work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You had no where near enough light, what where you using to light it ? i would be using 2 studio lights 1 coming from behind at 45degs and 1 opposite plus a reflector and making sure no light falls on the background

cranked up the blacks on one, the other I did a hard layer on Photoshop and just filled in black.. Thanks for the information about the minimum focus distance, I wasn't sure about that. I will have to read up on it in my manual/internet!

I don't have OCF so I kinda just made this thing to see if it would work.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Well done you got your answer, it didn't work

This is how I would approach this initially.
1. Put a black cloth up on the wall.
2. Put flower in long stem vase.
3. Place vase on stool about 4 feet in front of black cloth.
4. Place camera about 4 feet from flower and zoom in.
5. Set f-stop about 5.6 or so.
6. Set shutter at 1/60.
7. Adjust you flash compensation as necessary.
Better yet, leave outside on stem in sunlight, use some minor fill flash as necessary at a shallow dof.

5655468818_848fb319be.jpg

Most reactions

Back