Unimaxium

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Northeastern University, originally from Philly
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
...In amazon.com gift certificates. And I don't know what I want to get. I'm thinking maybe a nice 77mm circular polarizer from B+W, but spending over $100 on a filter feels like a lot to me. So, lemme ask this: If you could spend $125 on anything from amazon.com, what would it be?

I vote for the polarizer. It's the one filter that you just can't do without and it's important to use the nicest one that you can afford. Why buy nice lenses and then put a cheap filter on the end of it? :lol:

photogoddess said:
I vote for the polarizer. It's the one filter that you just can't do without and it's important to use the nicest one that you can afford. Why buy nice lenses and then put a cheap filter on the end of it? :lol:
Completely agree!!!
My only other suggestion, if you need it, is another memory card.

I've got a nice Hoya polarizer and two 1GB Extreme III cards. So I personally would be looking for a decent tripod.

woodsac said:
Completely agree!!!
My only other suggestion, if you need it, is another memory card.

I've got a nice Hoya polarizer and two 1GB Extreme III cards. So I personally would be looking for a decent tripod.
Hehe yeah a new memory card would be nice, except... I shoot film ;)

Ok I'm thinking the polarizer is the way to go, unless a better suggestion comes along.

But a good tripod might be nice too... although I already have a tripod, it's not a very fancy one

77mm is a big one but I agree that a good polarizer is a must have.

A polarizer was my first "accessory" purchase and I have never regretted it.

hehe yeah 77 is big and circ is expensive but that's the thread size of my wide-angle lens and if I get a polarizer I think I want it to be top quality too. I'm thinking I'm gonna go ahead and order the slim mount model. Anyone use slim mounts / can compare it to a normal one? Is there any difference in quality? All I know is it doesn't have threads on the end to stack more filters on top of it.

I've got the slim one and honestly, the ring on the front is so small, it's easy to accidentally unscrew it from your lens. I've got pretty small hands so I can imagine that it could be WAY worse for someone with bigger hands. If given the choice, I'd go with the regular one.

Well I decided to order the polarizer. I went for the B+W Kaesemann polarizer with MRC coating. I pitched in about $50 of my own money because it cost more than the $125 I had in gift certificates. But it was well worth it I think. It arrived in the mail a couple days ago, and I can tell it's quite a nice piece of glass. I've been playing around with it outside a lot lately and am really liking the effect it has on skies and foliage. I can't wait to get out and take some serious shots with it ;)

Do some searching around and read some of the feedback from consumers before you rush in.. or you might kick yourself later

Most reactions

Back