I have a unique opportunity...

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi Everyone!

Next Monday morning I have a unique opportunity to sail aboard one of the historic Tall Ships that are coming into Boston as a part of 'Sail Boston 2009'. Of course I am going to bring my camera, but only really shooting animals, I'm not sure about what I want to take on the ship...ideas anyone? I know laying down on the deck and taking the sails straight up would be cool...but can anyone give me any tips? We will be sailing around Cape Cod and back into Boston Harbor the next day.

I'm really looking forward to this! We've had SUCH crappy weather, I can only hope the sun will shine on Monday (even a little bit!).

Here is the ship
_10JPG-1.jpg

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I imagine you will be able to get some cool shots using ropes/rigging as frames or backgrounds. You should def climb up the mast and take a shot looking down!

Oooh I never thought about climbing the mast....I will ask - hopefully the Russian staff speaks English! :)

That's why you tie a rope around yourself too the ship when you get up there. ;)

Crow's nest is a good idea for some shots though. Do it for the shot, no matter how scary it is. (Or am I just enough of a fanatic to say that...)

Forever being cautious....do you think they would allow me to do that due to liability issues? I mean I would never cause anyone strife due to my own want to get a good shot...but, what the hell, I will ask. All they can say is no.

I imagine you will be able to get some cool shots using ropes/rigging as frames or backgrounds. You should def climb up the mast and take a shot looking down!

screw that idea lol...that looks pretty damn high.

Lol yeah, I was kinda half joking. It would be a cool shot, but no way you'd ever catch me up there, swaying around in the breeze :???:

thats awesome!
do you have anything wider than your 80-200? 80 might be a bit long when confined to a ship. maybe some cool macro type shots of the pulleys and ropes and such? just trying to think what i would wanna shoot on a cool ship like that.

on a side note...where in NH are you located? im in hudson, down by nashua.

can't wait to see what shots you wind up with!:thumbup:
sounds like a great opportunity to get some winners!

just dont do the leo and pretend you're flying on the bow.......congrats on the opportunity, i bet it will be fun

Take some "tip" money. If you are "nice" to the crew, they may take you up the mast in the Bosum's Chair. This is a winch powered (by men) seat that they use for maintenance and such. But, if you can get a trip up the bosum's chair, you will not have to worry about climbing and your camera gear.

Boston harbor is a nice cruise. I used to ride the commuter boat from Quincy to the airport all the time when I was flying out for work. Have a couple good pics of downtown (the best views of Boston's skyline). Besides the ship itself, Boston harbor has a lot of opportunity for lots of different shot. The old piers, skyline, bridges, airport, other sail and power boats, lots of potential for lots of different shots. From Cape Cod you will get the opportunity to get quite a few lighthouses as well. So, a good wide lens for the ship itself and a long lens for shore based things.

Also make sure you take a flash. The inside of the ship will be dark. So, if you want interior shots will need some extra light.

Hope you have a good trip.

You must tie a rope around yourself too the ship when you get up there. ;-)

Hope you have a good trip.

Thanks everyone for the tips and my other lens which will be making the trip will be my Nikkor f/2.8 24-70...so I'm hoping that between the two I will be able to get some really cool shots and so far the weather forecast looks ok!

We will be departing out of the Mass Maritime Academy early Monday morning so I am hoping that I have more photo opportunities than I know what to do with!

If I get anything worthy for the forum, I will definitely post! Thanks again! I'm not a huge sailing person but I am so excited for this little excursion!

Most reactions

Back