I Have it Rounded Down to Two - Any Last Words?

How about a 400D body...it has some pretty good improvements over the 350D?

For me, the ergonomics of the Rebels is all wrong. They are too small, although they do feel better once a battery grip is attached.

Personally, I love the layout of the 30D (I have a couple of 20Ds)...and I choose it over the Rebel XT (350D).

That being said, better glass is better glass.

I shoot a D200 but I'm told the Metering for flash is the same and i have yet to fool ittl and the only time that the flash is not consistent is when the batteries are running way down. (not to mention in camera commander for off camera ittl flash ;))

$.02

mike

If you like the features of the 30D and dont like the price, how about a used 20D?
They are for sale on every photo forum and even ebay for about the same money as a 400D I believe.You could prolly even get one with a decent lens attached if you look hard enough.There is minimal diff between the 20 and 30D and both have the same sensor.
Just My .02
But as has been stated already you can study it to death but in the end you will have to make the plunge and pick one for yourself.
You cannot go wrong with any of the cameras you have mentioned.
Nikon or Canon both have great lineup of lenses and accesories.

For me, the ergonomics of the Rebels is all wrong. They are too small, although they do feel better once a battery grip is attached.

Personally, I love the layout of the 30D (I have a couple of 20Ds)...and I choose it over the Rebel XT (350D).

That being said, better glass is better glass.

The layout on the 30D felt "right" almost immediately. There's a lot to be said for a large radius, notched wheel on the back to replicate a good old aperture ring. I really would prefer not to step down to a Rebel model. The lack of a status LCD is terrible (or at least inconveniently placed, in the 350D) and the new entry models make their predecessors like the D50 (which is a great size and girth) look like lumbering dinosaurs.

I guess if I think about it logically, new glass is inevitable, whereas the body is going to be driven into the ground...

...hopefully coincident with a big fat wallet...

...which isn't due for another good few years. :sad anim:

Get a D80. I say this without ever having used a Canon, just have used Nikon (and recently a D80). :drool:

10MP Shootout

My general perception between the two brands' glass components doesn't get much more concise than this (tell me if this is way off):

Canon = Softer, more "warmth"

Nikon = Sharper, but "cold"
What? i've never seen/heard anyone say something even to the effect of that.

Get a D200. I'm learning to love my Nikon after many years of wishing I went Canon and embrace the Nikon color. I got a d70s almost two years ago and I am now finding myself already wanting a D200. The D200 is a GREAT camera for a cheap price.

OR just to throw into the mix- how about the Fuji S5? ;)

Get a D200. I'm learning to love my Nikon after many years of wishing I went Canon and embrace the Nikon color. I got a d70s almost two years ago and I am now finding myself already wanting a D200. The D200 is a GREAT camera for a cheap price.

A great price indeed, but well out of my pricerange right now. A D200 with kit lens will put me over $2000 after taxes. To be frank, however, it is that camera that got me even considering Nikon in the first place.

BUT - with the cost limit I have in effect now, bear in mind that an upgrade in the future will likely result in a much better body... and I can tell you, based solely on the current batch of tech, that the Canon 1D is QUITE a bit more :drool:-inducing than the D200! :sexywink:

I recently made the switch to digital photography after years of swearing I'd never abandon film. My 35mm is a Canon Rebel 2000 and I LOVED it. I decided on the Nikon D80 and MUCH to my surprise I've only taken a handful of pictures with my 35mm since, and the film is still in the camera with a few shots left on it.

As for differences I've found in the two, someone mentioned that the AF is slower with Nikon.....this I have found to be true, which makes it a little frustrating when trying to get shots of my almost 3 year old twin boys.

I do like the Nikon lens better (though I only have the 18-55mm kit lens that came with it at the moment).

I haven't found it very hard to get used to the difference in the settings either. It's actually been quite easy.

I am wishing that I had chosen the D200 instead, though. Money was an issue for me, but it would have been an investment nonetheless.

Meh Im gonna be a fanboy and go Nikon. Just me, but it feels so much more professional than the Canons... especially in the lower end stuff like what I use. I tested a D50 vs a 350D and I couldn't BELIEVE the difference, the Canon felt cheap!

Then again, glass matters more, so why not get the cheaper one, whatever that is. Why do you need this class of a camera, when a D50 or D70 might do the job instead? D50 refurbs are 400 bucks. Thats a LOT more money for lenses.

I use a D50 w/ a 50mm 1.8 lens on 75% of my shots now, view the flickr below for examples.

You can only do what you can do. I was all set on getting a D70s when it struck me that I was going to be getting the lenses anyway and would be using the same body for a LONG time so why not splurge and be happy.

Now, with that aside, anyone recommend picking up a 350D body and a better lens over just jumping on the 30D kit?

I'd recommend the 30D over the 350D mainly because of the thumbwheel. Menus are very easy to navigate over the 350D. My main complaint with the 350D is that is was so easy for me to hit the Drive Mode button and it would switch me to the Self Timer mode. Not good when you are shooting a wedding.

Yea, I had a chance to play with an XTi and D40x last night and they are just too small for me. I don't have particularly large hands, but I mean, they were practically as small as my S3!

I might take a look at a used 20D, but I think I'd miss the spot metering...

I never advocate for buying cameras with kit lenses. I PERSONALLY would find someone selling a practically brand new but used D200 for about 1,200, but I'm all about buying used and buying the better product ;) Good luck. I can tell you as someone who has a d70, I'm not satisfied with this camera.

Most reactions

Back