I have some questions about my ansco speedex! help?

jpisssss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm new here, so I hope this is the correct place to be posting. So a few days ago I came into possession of my grandmother's beautiful agfa ansco speedex special "r" camera, and after a bit of cleaning ant TLC it looks like she's ready to go. I took one semester of darkroom photography in college (and fell in love) but I'm not too savvy with the technicalities and was hoping some of yall could help me out. I do have a holga and am familiar with 120mm though. Since this camera is so old, it's still in ASA. to set the asa, I have the following options: 8 ASA, 40 ASA, 100 ASA, 160 ASA, (then there is a blank section, though it still clicks into place there) COL RD, COL RT, COL ND, COL NT.

What ISO film should I use for it, and what should I set it to?

Thank you so much in advance. I'm having a hard time finding the answers to this online (even the manual doesn't say!)

ps: I have a TON of b&w 400 iso 120mm film. Is there a way i could use it with this camera?

The ASA dial on your camera is only a reminder for you. It has no effect on the camera's operation since the camera has no built in meter.

If you use the camera outdoors in daylight you can use virtually any speed film with it. Film in the 100-400 range should be fine.

Be sure the focus and rangefinder are working. These cameras often have stuck focus and RF controls until serviced due to hardening of the old Agfa green lubricants on these parts.

thank you!!!!

The ASA dial on your camera is only a reminder for you. It has no effect on the camera's operation since the camera has no built in meter.
Yup, you will need a light meter. If you don't have one already I would suggest to go for incident light meter. Like this:
http://paulturounetblog.files.wordpress.com/2007/09/light-meter.jpg
This type of meter is rather more consistent then reflected light meter. Or get the best of two worlds with this little gem:
Sekonic Light Meter: L-208 TwinMate Exposure Meter - Instruction Manuals

Be sure the focus and rangefinder are working. These cameras often have stuck focus and RF controls until serviced due to hardening of the old Agfa green lubricants on these parts.

any tips on getting it unstuck? I was able to get the one on the lens to move smoothly after a blowdryer and some brute force, but it's not working with the dial next to the shutter button. I tried lighter fluid and a toothbrush but no luck.

any tips on getting it unstuck? I was able to get the one on the lens to move smoothly after a blowdryer and some brute force, but it's not working with the dial next to the shutter button. I tried lighter fluid and a toothbrush but no luck.

See this:

rangefinder service 1

It is virtually the same camera.

See also other links on the left of that page that refer to "Isolette" and "Agfa" cameras for more info.

Note that the rangefider on this camera is uncoupled. That means you use it to determine distance and then manually set the focus on the lens to match.

Do you mean the knob to advance film next to the shutter release is stuck? Did you try pulling it up? I don't know that exact camera but I have a variety of other vintage cameras.

ASA/DIN was a designation of light sensitivity used prior to ISO - ASA is American Standards, ISO is International, DIN was a German scale (which might be different from ASA/ISO numbering). I usually use 100 outdoors in decent light and 400 indoors or in lower light (maybe on a cloudy day). Set the ASA on the camera for whichever speed (ISO) film you use. I looked up your camera and apparently it takes 120 film.

Don't ask me why the physics dept. at U of Texas has a page on this camera... but I also found a page on Rangefinder Forum.
Agfa / Ansco Medium Format Cameras
Recently rehabbed Ansco Speedex Special R... - Rangefinderforum.com

Most reactions

Back