I just had an Idea... A really brilliant one!

Valls

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I apologize for the pun! I'm new to the forum and I want your criticism. I'm not only new to the forum, but I'm new to the photography world either. So here is one of my pics:

DSCN2372.jpg

(I believe all of you get what I meant by "sorry for the pun" now)

It was taken with a Nikon Coolpix P500 (Yeah, semi-pro yet.. I'm gonna sell it as soon as I have the rest of the money to buy a new one [my intentions are of buying a Nikon D3200, but I'm not sure yet. Please advise!]).

There's not much to this picture, but I could really use some advice...

Interesting idea, seeing the filament helps make it an interesting subject. I like that golden light coming thru it, but the top gets rather dark and it might be better not seeing the edge of the table, and the bright spot at the bottom makes for a distraction visually. Think about where to place it, your vantage point and the angle you're shooting it from. Keep trying and have fun with it.

Welcome.

Ok......with regard to the pun, you're going to have to be PUNished for it. :biglaugh:I just kill me.

Your picture....you're right, there's not much to it but some great photos have not had much to them. Many times less is more. I like the tonality though.

The Nikon 3200 would be a great starting place for you. My friend used to have one and turned out some great photos with it.

I will punder about your notes! Erh, I mean, ponder! :lol:

Jokes set aside, thanks for commenting! Would you recommend a Canon T5 over the Nikon D3200?

Interesting idea, seeing the filament helps make it an interesting subject. I like that golden light coming thru it, but the top gets rather dark and it might be better not seeing the edge of the table, and the bright spot at the bottom makes for a distraction visually. Think about where to place it, your vantage point and the angle you're shooting it from. Keep trying and have fun with it.

Thank you for your kindness! :) I really like your ideas, and I'm gonna try it another time.. the same picture, trying to fix the edge of the table and that bright spot at the bottom... The top being dark I believe was part of my not-so-good skills with Lightroom, but I'll try to fix that as well! As soon as I have new results, I'll coment in this same thread! :)

I will punder about your notes! Erh, I mean, ponder! :lol:

Jokes set aside, thanks for commenting! Would you recommend a Canon T5 over the Nikon D3200?

I haven't shot a Nikon since my film days which was all I shot. Now I shoot Canon so I might not be your best advice here. However, I will say I had a 500D and a 600d, which is a T3i, and I got tremendous results with both. I think the T5i and the D3200 are pretty close comparatively so I don't think you can get hurt too bad going with either one.

I haven't shot a Nikon since my film days which was all I shot. Now I shoot Canon so I might not be your best advice here. However, I will say I had a 500D and a 600d, which is a T3i, and I got tremendous results with both. I think the T5i and the D3200 are pretty close comparatively so I don't think you can get hurt too bad going with either one.

Well... Thanks a lot! :)

I really like the pic man, I really dig the creative, out of the box stuff. The only thing I would probably change is the balance of the picture. The eyes are drawn entirely to the left side of the image. Easy fix. But other than that its a great idea, great picture/angle.

I really like the pic man, I really dig the creative, out of the box stuff. The only thing I would probably change is the balance of the picture. The eyes are drawn entirely to the left side of the image. Easy fix. But other than that its a great idea, great picture/angle.
Thank you! :)) What is the fix you suggest for that? I mean, just moving the camera a bit would be the fix? (or the object to the side, anyway... I'm able to move both lol) or the same pic with a crop would be just fine? I will try to take the same photo again later this week, trying to use all the advice I get in this thread!

Last edited:
Thank you! :)) What is the fix you suggest for that? I mean, just moving the camera a bit would be the fix? (or the object to the side, anyway... I'm able to move both lol) or the same pic with a crop would be just fine? I will try to take the same photo again later this week, trying to use all the advice I get in this thread!

Sorry for the late response. Im an amateur so take my advice with a grain of salt, but when I first saw it, the very thing I noticed was how overpowering the subject (the bulb) is. It just needs more of a balance using some negative space. Is this cropped from a bigger image? Take a bunch from different distances and play with them. Again, love the idea, just needs a little work :)

Sorry for the late response. Im an amateur so take my advice with a grain of salt, but when I first saw it, the very thing I noticed was how overpowering the subject (the bulb) is. It just needs more of a balance using some negative space. Is this cropped from a bigger image? Take a bunch from different distances and play with them. Again, love the idea, just needs a little work :)

No worries buddy, and thanks for answering... This is the original foto, I didn't crop it! I can see what you said, I also feel the eyes are drawn to the left side of the image... I will try to fix this taking the photo a bit further away and then cropping it to more of a cinematic crop, you know? a little wider... maybe will release us of that feeling!

Well, thanks for your insights! :)

I like the picture. I agree the table edge is a bit distracting but I do like the coloring. I have entry level DSLR's from both Canon and Nikon and both do good jobs. Just remember the lens are not interchangeable between brands so when you decide on a brand and start purchasing lenses you may find future camera purchases will stick with that manufacturer so you can use your lens investments. Nothing wrong with the P500. I have the P510 and still use it a lot. Its much lighter than a DSLR and easier to carry for extended periods. You might want to keep it as a second camera for now. It comes in handy to have a point and shoot type camera available. In this area some venues like indoor sporting events will not let you in with a DSLR but will with a point a shoot. Often they go with a "the camera cannot have a removable lens" rule when allowing photography access. I do not know if that is a local thing here but it is something to consider before selling your P500.

I like the picture. I agree the table edge is a bit distracting but I do like the coloring. I have entry level DSLR's from both Canon and Nikon and both do good jobs. Just remember the lens are not interchangeable between brands so when you decide on a brand and start purchasing lenses you may find future camera purchases will stick with that manufacturer so you can use your lens investments. Nothing wrong with the P500. I have the P510 and still use it a lot. Its much lighter than a DSLR and easier to carry for extended periods. You might want to keep it as a second camera for now. It comes in handy to have a point and shoot type camera available. In this area some venues like indoor sporting events will not let you in with a DSLR but will with a point a shoot. Often they go with a "the camera cannot have a removable lens" rule when allowing photography access. I do not know if that is a local thing here but it is something to consider before selling your P500.

Thanks, I will try to correct that table edge problem on the next take.... And well, unfortunately I'm living on a budget now so.. If I want a DSLR I will have to sell my P500 for the money... But fortunately, I have never seen anything like that "no removable lens" rule anywhere in my country so... I guess the only downside will be the practicalities of the "point and shoot" you mentioned... But I really need the upsides of the DSLR, such having the right lens for the right occasions, having an easier to operate manual focus, more accessories (for which I'm sure I'll be needing packs of money I don't have, but that is a situation that will soon be over, I hope! lol) and well, many other upsides I can see... I just hope I'm not overestimating the power of the DSLR!

By the way, speaking of accessories, since you own both Canon and Nikon DSLR's you will be best suited to answer this: which of them have the most expensive accessories? Not only lenses, but anything you can buy for a DSLR!

As far as I have found the price of accessories are comparable. Just dont get caught in the Canon vs Nikon debate, do your research and decide what features you want then go with the brand that gives you the features you want in the price range your desire. Check out reviews . DPREVIEW.COM is a good place to start. Also dont forget third party lenses and accessories can help with the budget too. Check out lenses from companies like Sigma or Tamron and others. Dont be hasty. A DSLR is the way to go for flexibility but you need to do your research first. Also you will find once you open the wallet for accessories in this hobby there is no closing it again :)

If budget is a concern then you can also look into factory refurbished kits or even used. I have not purchased used yet but my P510 is a factory refurb and has been great,

Most reactions

Back