I just picked up a Calumet 4X5 camera! But need a bit of help.

A spanner wretch/tool is the most useful thing that I have gotten a hold of to work on camera equipment.

I would rate spanners near the top. Actually, the tools I use the most are JIS screwdrivers. I also use rubber "stoppers" a lot and simple tools for light seal replacement. Oh, and naphtha.

I would rate spanners near the top. Actually, the tools I use the most are JIS screwdrivers. I also use rubber "stoppers" a lot and simple tools for light seal replacement. Oh, and naphtha.

I wish I could "Agree", "Winner", "Informative" and "Like" a single post!

Plus, we need a "Best Answer" option as well!

You can never have enough tools ... I still keep adding more.

122315_2224_workspaceth1.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of retaining ring you want to remove but, if there is enough surface area, the rubber type tool is my preferred method.

Spanner wrenches are good but they almost always leave some marks behind no matter how carefully you use them. But, of course, sometimes they are the only option. Applying a little transparent tape over the slot area helps prevent scratches from slips.

I've also made my own custom fit spanner wrenches by cutting and grinding (with a Dremel) brass strip stock

Very good point on scratching, I will be very careful and will use tape or something to try and stop scratching. I like the idea of a rubber gripper in place of a spanner.
Thanks! :)
Rodenstock makes a very good 4 sided lens wrench:
Rodenstock Lens Wrench.png

I'm not sure what kind of retaining ring you want to remove but, if there is enough surface area, the rubber type tool is my preferred method.

Spanner wrenches are good but they almost always leave some marks behind no matter how carefully you use them. But, of course, sometimes they are the only option. Applying a little transparent tape over the slot area helps prevent scratches from slips.

I've also made my own custom fit spanner wrenches by cutting and grinding (with a Dremel) brass strip stock

Very good point on scratching, I will be very careful and will use tape or something to try and stop scratching. I like the idea of a rubber gripper in place of a spanner.
Thanks! :)
Rodenstock makes a very good 4 sided lens wrench: View attachment 176725

Handy. But limited. I prefer this style... works on everything and is much more versatile.

6f256f9025694ad18d0640eb584e9020

Back in the day camera manufacturer's used to make their own special tools for use by their repair technicians to work on cameras and lenses sent in for repair by buyers. They were made to fit certain parts of certain cameras/lenses exactly and made quick work of assembly and disassembly of the models they were made for. These tools were never offered for sale to the general public and only existed in small numbers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back