I just went and done it.....

Thanks everyone, I'm pretty impressed by this camera, it's got some cracking features.

Managed out last night and tonight to give it a test run, the new lens seems sharp which is good. I hadn't realised how used to my old camera I was and was a bit flustered but having gone through all the settings last night I got a few shots. Sunset last night was better, but it was a grab the camera and run job as I was loosing light though tonight I took my tripod. Still learning with exposure blending too. This one is two shots but I'm loving the resolution bump anyway ;)

Bothwell Castle 1 by wee_pete, on Flickr

Look at that texture! Looks terrific.

:allteeth::allteeth::allteeth: Sorry mate, been playing. Just started to RTFM too.

Keep the manual handy.
I find that it takes me a long time to get used to a new camera.
Just when I think I have it all figured out, I run into an issue that I have to look up in the manual.

The more different the new camera is from your old camera, the more difficult the learning is.

Take notes, of configuration.
Sometimes the description/instruction is not very clear, so you have to write your own description/instruction that YOU understand.
What I find frustrating is sometimes stuff is put into the menu in a place that, to me, does not make sense, and I cannot find it intuitively. That is when I need my own instructions.

Well you are in the professional category now! Congratulations!
From what I have handled, the 5D Mark IV is an absolute beast in performance.

Look at that texture! Looks terrific.

Thanks mate, it does seem to bring out some great detail

Keep the manual handy.
I find that it takes me a long time to get used to a new camera.
Just when I think I have it all figured out, I run into an issue that I have to look up in the manual.

The more different the new camera is from your old camera, the more difficult the learning is.

Take notes, of configuration.
Sometimes the description/instruction is not very clear, so you have to write your own description/instruction that YOU understand.
What I find frustrating is sometimes stuff is put into the menu in a place that, to me, does not make sense, and I cannot find it intuitively. That is when I need my own instructions.

Will do (I kept the manual in my bag with my 7D until I got used to it), interestingly it didn't come with a paper copy so I've downloded the .pdf version on my phone. I took the time to set up the "my menu" functions so most of the stuff I should need is at hand though there are a few things I still need to look into.

Well you are in the professional category now! Congratulations!
From what I have handled, the 5D Mark IV is an absolute beast in performance.

Thanks mate, pro class kit certainly. it looks pretty awesome, so clean at low ISOs.

I did get a quick chance to test the EF 16-35mm f4L against my EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-5.6. Centre sharpness was indestinguishable but 16-35mm is much sharper in the corners on my 7D

Most reactions

Back