I just went and done it.....

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by weepete, Sep 30, 2019.

1. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    After spending a month or so debating between the new 90D and a 5D mkiv I went to the shops on Saturday to get my hands on these two models. The first camera shop only had the 5Dmkiv so I had a wee play and checked my Tamron 150-600mm played well with it (which it did) and gave me a chance to assess the AF and the feel of the camera which was brilliant.

The second camera shop had the 90D and while it seemed like a great camera which also played nice with my tamzooka though I didn't like the dial on the back and the AF didn't seem quite as snappy and the build quality seemed sturdier on my old 7D which is more similar in feel to the 5D. Now, the shop had reduced the price of the 5D just enough to put it in my price bracket, and the lowest it's been since release.

So after debating the old choice of reach vs cost and clean raws, 7fps vs 10 andreminding myself that landscapes were my primary interest I ended up pulling the trigger on a new 5Dmkiv (my first full frame) and a 16-35mm f4 L IS (my first L glass) which I picked up tonight. After getting home and settling my nerves with a nice cup an te about how much money I'd just dropped on a $%#@!& camera. Now I just need to wait until the battery charges to play with it!

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Scott Whaley

Scott Whaley No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats! Welcome to the 5D club. I have a 7d mk ii and got a 5d mrk iv last year. I am waiting for the new 1d to come out early next year. That will be my last camera... Maybe!

3. zulu42

zulu42 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice can't wait for some shots!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Happy new camera..............:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Cup 'o tea, was it?

At my house it would have been something else. :witless:

• Like Like x 1
  6. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Four hours later, still waiting... how long do batteries take to charge on that side of the pond???????????????

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. oldhippy

oldhippy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    That’s wonderful, enjoy. Ed

• Like Like x 1
  8. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah mate, dying to get out with it and put ut trough it's paces.

It was indeed mate, that's turned into a celibratory beer now! I do have a wee dram waiting on me but I'll save that for the weekend.

:allteeth::allteeth::allteeth: Sorry mate, been playing. Just started to RTFM too. It's dark now unfortunatley so it'll be a couple of days before I can get somewhere decent enough to show. Initial trials are promising, lens looks sharp but need to do some test shots to find out. Touch screen is a novelty and everyting up to ISO 6400 looks very useable. Menu system is extensive and I forsee some bedtime reading in my future. The expanded AF areas are different than I'm used to with smaller coverage I think but one in particular looks like it's made for portraits which is a nice feature.

Some very cool touches and nice features, a built in bulb timer and an invalerometer look like cool functions, along with a dedicated AF point selection button. AF is rapid and various tracking modes. Bracketing up to 7 shots I'm keen to explore and the in built multiple exposure will be something I want to explore.

It really looks fanstastic!

• Like Like x 1
  9. weepete

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks Ed, I'll do my best!

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    I gave the 5D Mark 4 a quick spin when it came out. I was quite impressed with the high ISO range performance. I really liked the handling, and I thought the fit and finish was quite good. My prediction is that you will be extremely happy with this camera. Congratulations on your new purchase, and welcome to full frame digital single-lens reflex photography. You will now get to experience what a 24mm and a 50mm and a 100 and a 70 to 200 mm Zoom are all supposed to be.. after a short while you will begin to see why so many people love full frame... it just makes using so many lenses indoors so much easier.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dacaur

Dacaur TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats on the new camera!
    The 5dmkiv looks nice, but I would have to think long and hard before buying a camera without a built in flash, and the non articulating screen would be a definite deal breaker.... Screen looks like it has nice resolution though... I wonder how much easier that makes it to focus using live view...

• Like Like x 1
  12. weepete

Photos OK to edit

Thanks Derrel, I'm particularly excited to get out into the mountains with it and give it a go, shooting landscapes at the traditional focal lengths of 24 and 35mm have a massive appeal to me because of the way these lenses render images and getting more in the frame is going to be incredably useful. I'm also looking forward to trying it out on wildlife and taking advantage of those nice clean raws files!

Thanks Dacur! The screen on the back is huge, it looks fantastic. Those to things never bother me. The last time I used a pop up flash was over 2 years ago on holiday. But I do have a speedlight should I need one.

• Like Like x 1