I love my monopod!

I still use an OLD two-section, heavy Bogen aluminum and steel monopod...I feel pretty safe with it,and have at times carried it as if it were a club, with my hand through the wrist strap...people could clearly see what it was and what my "carry"of it indicated...it's not black either...it looks like a big, stout staff. The old monopods had massive top sections, much larger in diameter than these new, small,flimsy graphite type ones...the staff or baton are both excellent arm-breakers and extremity-smackers.

:lol:

I was glad to have mine with me while we were travelling in Paris. On our return from Versailles we were riding the metro and we saw a bunch of people come running up to the top compartment from the bottom one saying to call the police. Apparently some guy down there had taken something that was making him flip out. He was taking his clothes and screaming at everyone and trying to attack people by jumping over the seats while his buddy was trying to keep him in place. Needless to say I was concerned for my family so I gave our daughter to my wife, picked up my monopod and told her to stay behind me while we went past him to get off the train. Luckily he didn't mess with us but my trusty monopod and I were ready if he did. That ground spike would've worked well jabbed into his face!

I was glad to have mine with me while we were travelling in Paris. On our return from Versailles we were riding the metro and we saw a bunch of people come running up to the top compartment from the bottom one saying to call the police. Apparently some guy down there had taken something that was making him flip out. He was taking his clothes and screaming at everyone and trying to attack people by jumping over the seats while his buddy was trying to keep him in place. Needless to say I was concerned for my family so I gave our daughter to my wife, picked up my monopod and told her to stay behind me while we went past him to get off the train. Luckily he didn't mess with us but my trusty monopod and I were ready if he did. That ground spike would've worked well jabbed into his face!

So, I'm starting to get the impression from this thread that I should carry a monopod even when I don't have my camera.

So, I'm starting to get the impression from this thread that I should carry a monopod even when I don't have my camera.

Looks odd with a suit and briefcase though! Go for a nice Glock or a SIG... much less obtrusive! :)

Looks odd with a suit and briefcase though! Go for a nice Glock or a SIG... much less obtrusive! :)

Right now it's the Kahr for me...

I don't typically carry a monopod, but I usually have this... http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Corrosion-Resistant-Patented-Electroless/dp/B005FCCS3K/ref=sr_1_2?s=miscellaneous&ie=UTF8&qid=1326390307&sr=1-2

Last time I mentioned this, a debate began on the difference between carrying this and simply carrying a gun. So before that debate comes up I will say this: I would much rather use this as a non-lethal weapon as opposed to not only risking the animals life, but risking anyone elses who may be in the vacinity ( nearby children,passing cars, etc. ). Also, most times ( as you found out with your monopod) simply waving the weapon will keep a dog away. I originally bought this when pushing my newborn around my neighborhood in a stroller. A large pitbull came out of nowhere. Personally, I could have easily hopped a fence or something to get away. But I could not do this while carrying a baby. Luckily the owner came running out of a house and grabbed the dog before it turned ugly.

BTW, its collapsible which I don't see mentioned in that add. So its easy to put in the little side pocket on my backpack or in a beltloop holder.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Monopod is a lot cheaper, AND Glock and Sig are not allowed in many public place and other countries. SO I prefer a monopod. :lol:

I don't typically carry a monopod, but I usually have this... Amazon.com: ASP Ultimate Corrosion Resistant, Patented Foam Vinyl Grip F21E Electroless 2...: Everything ElseLast time I mentioned this, a debate began on the difference between carrying this and simply carrying a gun. So before that debate comes up I will say this: I would much rather use this as a non-lethal weapon as opposed to not only risking the animals life, but risking anyone elses who may be in the vacinity ( nearby children,passing cars, etc. ). Also, most times ( as you found out with your monopod) simply waving the weapon will keep a dog away. I originally bought this when pushing my newborn around my neighborhood in a stroller. A large pitbull came out of nowhere. Personally, I could have easily hopped a fence or something to get away. But I could not do this while carrying a baby. Luckily the owner came running out of a house and grabbed the dog before it turned ugly.

BTW, its collapsible which I don't see mentioned in that add. So its easy to put in the little side pocket on my backpack or in a beltloop holder.

And the miscreant survives.. to maybe mangle a child someday. (it's like the old saying "a dead rapist is not going to rape anyone!") :)

I don't typically carry a monopod, but I usually have this... Amazon.com: ASP Ultimate Corrosion Resistant, Patented Foam Vinyl Grip F21E Electroless 2...: Everything ElseLast time I mentioned this, a debate began on the difference between carrying this and simply carrying a gun. So before that debate comes up I will say this: I would much rather use this as a non-lethal weapon as opposed to not only risking the animals life, but risking anyone elses who may be in the vacinity ( nearby children,passing cars, etc. ). Also, most times ( as you found out with your monopod) simply waving the weapon will keep a dog away. I originally bought this when pushing my newborn around my neighborhood in a stroller. A large pitbull came out of nowhere. Personally, I could have easily hopped a fence or something to get away. But I could not do this while carrying a baby. Luckily the owner came running out of a house and grabbed the dog before it turned ugly.

And the miscreant survives.. to maybe mangle a child someday. (it's like the old saying "a dead rapist is not going to rape anyone!") :)

You would be amazed at how useless something like a monopod can be against an enraged dog. I was watching a softball game in a public park (just a bunch of friends that like to play, not a league or anything) and a rottweiler grabbed a teenager off his bike as he rode past and the guy holding the bat at the time hit the dog in the head with everything he had and it barely flinched. It took about six swings to the head and back before the dog ran off without so much as a limp.

I don't think a photographer with a monopod would have accomplished much, a hollow-point on the other hand... If your looking for something less dangerous, I would suggest pepper spray or even better, bear spray if it is available, but only for animals. If its a person then you definitely want a gun. A hefty stick (or monopod) is still considered a lethal weapon in most places. This means that not only are you still in deep water if you hurt somebody with it but it can actually be considered justification for them to pull their gun and shoot YOU. And remember, if the other guy is dead, there is only one side to the story. :sexywink:

I worked at an animal control center, more dead bodies then living ones. Seems sad, the owners are probably aggressive, or don't know how to take care of animals, I see it a lot. It's not always the peoples fault, most most of the time it is. Before you go sending the dog off to his slaughter for a crime he didn't commit, give his owners a swift kick in the ass and let them know their dog is posing as a threat to civilians and that if they don't learn how to control him, animal control will be called.

By the way, they smell fear, if you fear them they will fear you, if they fear you they will want to eat you, the same way you wanted to jab him. I'd want to bite people too if I was a canine, lucky for me I'm just a wolf ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back