What's new

I Made Dinner! Comments and Critiques??

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Apr 13, 2010
Messages
9,027
Reaction score
2,175
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I made some cranberry-apple chutney, and threw it together in this wrap. So good! Shot with the new 85 1.8, and two SB600's.



Simply Delicious by f_one_eight, on Flickr


Best,
Jake
 
Food looks good, might want to consider stopping down the lens just a touch though - DOF is a little off.

I shot it intentionally this way--I wanted to see how the 85 1.8 looked almost wide open (f2.2). But I'll keep this in mind for next time. Thanks!

Jake
 
This is UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Tempting us with this culinary delight and not even giving us a bite :x you sir are a teaser :mrgreen: of the worst kind.

Darn I got hungry again, let see if there are any leftover in the fridge.....................darn you,
No diet again for me.....................again :(

:wink:
 
IMO, too bright and over-lit.
There's little definition in the meat and the forward edge of the bottom wrap is way OOF.

I agree. This was my first food shot, and it's okay, but plenty of room for improvement. How would I get more definition in the meat slices? A more top down or side light? And I wanted to see how the 1.8 performed almost wide open, and was more focused on that than a useful DoF.

Best,
Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
IMO, too bright and over-lit.
There's little definition in the meat and the forward edge of the bottom wrap is way OOF.

Not to mention, I like to use a shallow DoF, even when it's not necessary and/or it detracts from the image. Clearly I have to shake that habit.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
shallow dof in food photography is desirable but you need to to think about that f-stop. That's too shallow.
next issue is composition. try to show a plate so we know for sure that is a plate. Then think about the lines of plate and geometry.

Food photography is great! :)
 
I probably would have shot at about F3-F4 for this shot. Looks a little soft.

It's plenty sharp at 100% crop, it's just a really narrow DoF.

Jake


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom