I made my first shot!

kjpshoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay okay maybe not my first but after embarrassing myself so bad in front of the camera i decided to take some time to actually understand how the camera works. I read tips, watched a ton of YT videos and here i am three weeks after with my first shot.

I went out to shop for a few cheap gears yesterday. Around sunset, I pulled out the godox SK300 strobe light with my 70-300mm lens. In aperture priority mode, I set to f/4.5 and the computer estimated a shutter speed of 1/100 sec.

Im posting this for directions, I know there are pros here that would figure out one or two things to improve me. btw, i edited in Ps, some work on blemishes and highlights but i still feel the highlight is off.
IMG_5690-Edit.jpg

You've got a boatload of camera movement.

I noticed the softness right away. Zooming in confirmed the camera moved.

Im posting this for directions, I know there are pros here that would figure out one or two things to improve me. btw, i edited in Ps, some work on blemishes and highlights but i still feel the highlight is off.
The composition is good, but the background has some bright highlights that draw the eye away from your subject. If you can, try to find a background that does not compete with your subject.

The composition is good, but the background has some bright highlights that draw the eye away from your subject. If you can, try to find a background that does not compete with your subject.
The setting sun is lost behind the tree. I tried to fix the blown highlight on Lr but no luck. I will make sure to use your advice on the next time I pick up the camera.

I've seen a lot worse! Yeah there are some techniques that need refinement, but I think you've done really well here!

I don't think the highlights distract too much, (actually the first thing that drew my eye was the gaze then the highlight around his head). Pretty good for a first effort but keep that shutter speed up!

I've seen a lot worse! Yeah there are some techniques that need refinement, but I think you've done really well here!

I don't think the highlights distract too much, (actually the first thing that drew my eye was the gaze then the highlight around his head). Pretty good for a first effort but keep that shutter speed up!
Thank you weepete for your comment, what techniques do you think needs refinement?

@kjpshoot , This is really good for your first shot! Your 1/100s shutter speed probably didn't help you. I try and stay at least double the focal length of the lens I'm shooting with. so if your shooting at 100mm focal length, make sure you don't fall below 1/200. Tuck that arm into the side, try and make your body a tripod. Don't be afraid of bumping that ISO a stop or two to get some gain on the shutter speed. If your exposure is correct, all will be good.

Did you meter the background?
Did you meter the face?

I noticed the softness right away. Zooming in confirmed the camera moved.
I hate using a tripod, guess i need to get used to it.

You should concentrate in improving your hand-holding techniques, not 'getting used to it'.
I only just realized i didnt use the face detector, could that also be it?

Facial recognition won't affect how well you hold your camera still.

Improving your Hand-Holding Technique

@kjpshoot , This is really good for your first shot! Your 1/100s shutter speed probably didn't help you. I try and stay at least double the focal length of the lens I'm shooting with. so if your shooting at 100mm focal length, make sure you don't fall below 1/200. Tuck that arm into the side, try and make your body a tripod. Don't be afraid of bumping that ISO a stop or two to get some gain on the shutter speed. If your exposure is correct, all will be good.

Did you meter the face?

I just learnt something new from your little math up there. I never really paid attention to the focal length before i shot it but now knowing that i have to double the release speed is a step ahead. I couldn’t meter for the background( don’t know how to do that yet) without losing focus on the face.

Thanks for the body tripod trick

Did you meter the face?

I just learnt something new from your little math up there. I never really paid attention to the focal length before i shot it but now knowing that i have to double the release speed is a step ahead. I couldn’t meter for the background( don’t know how to do that yet) without losing focus on the face.

Thanks for the body tripod trick
Well, in a shot like this, learn that you have to quench the ambiant light in order to illuminate the subject. It sounds like you got lucky because you got good face illumination and seperation. Understand what you are trying to accomplish and your images will take off.

Most reactions

Back