I need a PROFESSIONAL camera

lorlormommie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I got a job working for a professional photography company, my first ever actually. I have used film cameras in my previous photography jobs, and my at home digital is not good enough for the new job. They are lending me a camera now, but I am in need of a "professional grade" camera. I was given no other specifications than that. What are some details I should look for in a professional grade camera? (dslr) Please help, I have no idea where to start.

Way way too little info to give any meaningfull answer - a pro grade camera is simply a camera that a person who earns over 40-50% of their income through photography uses.

We really need some key info from you to give you any answer that can be of help:

1) The nature of your work
2) The kind of conditions you are likley to be shooting in
3) The budget you have to work with

Also even though your employers have not been helpful try asking the other working photographers for your new employers what they are using - sometimes having a single unified gear approach can help things out (eg gear loans, software on company computers etc...).

I will be taking pictures of newborns at the hospital. I will be going room to room to get the shots, so I will have to bring everything with me. I do not have any other photographers for the company to ask because they just opened with this hospital and I am their first photographer for this area. I have no budget as long as the equipment will last.

I have no budget as long as the equipment will last.

Thats not really an answer, there are $50 000 cameras out there. What are you actually willing to spend?

My question is not so much WHICH camera to buy, so much as what is the minimum I need with certain features to look for. OR, what are some things I MUST have when looking for a camera. What are some things on my camera or equipment that someone would say: you are not a professional without THIS... get it?

I have no budget as long as the equipment will last.

Thats not really an answer, there are $50 000 cameras out there. What are you actually willing to spend?

Well with indoor work and chances that you will be in quite busy conditions with little space to move around nor setup I'd recomend something along the following lines: (note I'm only recomending canon gear because its what I understand and Nikon or other brands will certainly have gear of similar specifications for you to consider)

Canon 5DM2 - fullframe camera body so if you've film SLR experience you will be quite at home with the aspect that you see through the lens. It also have a top class high ISO range which will be ideal when working indoors with limited lighting support.

Lenses - a more complicated area since space might be a problem with some longer focal lengths. A 24-70mm f2.8 L is a standard lens that many portrait, wedding and other pro photographers use and it would certainly be a good choice to start with as you get your feet wet in the environment and should you find a working focal length that you favour in that environment you might the lean toward using a prime lens for improved visual quality and also the option of a faster max aperture.

A 580EX2 would be the least in lighting support you should consider - that long with a simple 5 in 1 reflector would give you a small mobile lighting support for moving around. The reflector also being good for situations where you are not allowed/able to use the flash.

Of course good flash use will require that you use diffusers and/or change the angle of the flash to bounce it off the walls in the hospital

IF you have more space to setup (or through working find that you do) you might want to give a glance toward a more studio based setup, but at my guess you might not enter this area whilst working at the hospital itself simply because of the space requirements as well as the general coming and going at the hospital.

you are not a professional without THIS... get it?
[/QUOTE]

Remember this line isn't about gear, its about attitude, manner, dress, conduct as well as you final product. The gear you use to produce that product isn't important so long as it lets you produce the product to the level of quality that you and your clients are happy with in the situations you are shooting in.

Thank you, this is the most helpful advice I have gotten from anyone I have asked!

You should post the camera they have lent you to give an idea of what they expect. If I were in your position with a new job for a new hospital I would consider what type of camera I personally would want since you are buying it with your own money. Then if things don't work out or if you get a different job you will still like your set up.
For indoor stuff I like my 50mm f/1.8 prime lens. It works in all dark light situations. For portraits I understand most pros use the 85mm or 105mm primes but I haven't had a chance to use one yet. The camera I have now, the Nikon D700 is fantastic for indoor stuff and also has a sharp auto focus system that focuses on the subject's eyes every single time.

a d700 with a 24-70 af-s 2.8 and a sb-600
you will be mostly shooting in tight space (bedrooms) shooting babies from above, youll love the 24mm to 70mm range,
the d700 will give you enough low light performance
i would use a sb-600 to bounce off the light those creepy white walls.
;)

a d700 with a 24-70 af-s 2.8 and a sb-600
you will be mostly shooting in tight space (bedrooms) shooting babies from above, youll love the 24mm to 70mm range,
the d700 will give you enough low light performance
i would use a sb-600 to bounce off the light those creepy white walls.
;)

Good suggestion, I love my D700 for indoor portraits. For the creepy white wall part maybe you can get a portable small backdrop of some kind so it looks less hospital-ly.

I'd do a D700, SB-600, and for lenses 50mm f/1.4G and the new 24mm f/1.4G (maybe the new 35mm f/1.4G if 24 is too wide for you).

D700 for the low light and perspective advantages with the 24mm especially. The 24mm f/1.4 will let you do a more environmental portrait while still isolating the subject, something that a slower f/2.8 lens can't do so well since 24mm is so wide.

The 50mm will be great for doing a more formal isolation. 85mm would be more ideal, but would be too tight and you'd always be up against walls.

And on these newer primes, it's retarded how sharp they both are from f/2.8-11. They'll give the images a very photojournalistic look, yet incredibly elegant at the same time, the bright apertures will give a very natural separation of the subject and surroundings, and will let you keep your ISO's from being through the roof because even though the D700 is amazing at ISO 3200 and 6400, that doesn't mean it's not grainy. You might be shooting the 24-70 at f/2.8 ISO 3200, when you can use the 24 or 50 1.4's at ISO 800 and f/1.4 to get the same exposure. That can make all the difference in the world.

Most reactions

Back