I need advice on which camera to buy

brandonXcore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was looking at two camera packages and couldn't decide what to choose, so I need your advice. Which would you opt for? Reasons?

Nikon D40x Digital SLR Camera Body ($849 Online Only or $949 In-Store)
  • * Accessories:
    o 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S
    DX Zoom-NIKKOR Lens
    o 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED AF-S
    DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR Lens with optical image stabilization
    o Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery, Quick Charger, USB
    Cable,Strap, PictureProject CD-Rom.
  • * Bonus Accessories:
    o Camera Bag
    o 1GB SD Card
    o Nikon School DVD - Fast, Fun & Easy - Great Digital Pictures
    o Nikon School DVD - Understanding Digital Photography - Release
    Your Digital DSLR's Potential
OR

Canon Rebel XTi Digital SLR Camera Body ($939 In-Store only)
  • * Accessories:
    o Canon EF-S 18-55mm Lens
    o Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM
    o Battery Pack, Battery Charger, Video Cable, USB Interface,
    Cable, Wide Strap, Eyecup, EOS Digital Solution Disc.

* Bonus Accessories:
    o Camera Bag
    o 1GB CF Card
    o 52mm UV Lens Filter

ahah i've always been a fan of canon cameras, but after trying a relative's d40x it's really hard to choose.

so far 0-1 w00t

I use canon, and the d40x package seems to have a better lens combo. though the XTi is better than the d40x body wise. In my opinion, you may be better off just seeing what kind of stuff you can get with the same budget.
The 1GB card is absolutley nothing. At 10 mpx, that's about 60 pictures. Bags are probably too small for what you really need, all the other accessories are included anyway except for the DVD's.
The stock lenses are ho-hum but at least a start. Just shop around on B&H or Adorama and see waht ou can get with the same budget.

Where are you getting the packages from? Some ebay sellers give you a bunch of cheap accessories and jack up the price substantially.

While I am not a fan of the D40x's focusing system (only AF-S plus some rare and expensive Nikkors and some Sigma autofocus on it) I just shot with an XTi again today and I really, really dislike the cheap plasticy feel of that camera... it feels like it came in a crackerjack box (and yes, I do shoot Canons as well as Nikons).

Of the two, I would choose the XTi although I dislike the camera, but I would also check into a D80 which is a much better overall camera than the D40x for not much more money.

While I am not a fan of the D40x's focusing system (only AF-S plus some rare and expensive Nikkors and some Sigma autofocus on it) I just shot with an XTi again today and I really, really dislike the cheap plasticy feel of that camera... it feels like it came in a crackerjack box (and yes, I do shoot Canons as well as Nikons).

Of the two, I would choose the XTi although I dislike the camera, but I would also check into a D80 which is a much better overall camera than the D40x for not much more money.

I was going to settle for D80 once but at the time I felt I wouldn't need it as much.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back