I need help! big time! OPINIONS PLEASE. What camera?

Ok boys and girls listen carefully, did I ever say I was a wedding photographer? I don't shoot weddings, I never said I shot weddings, I shoot sports. Last week I picked up my new gear.

Nikon D3s
Nikon D700
Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8
Nikon 400 2.8

I just switched to Nikon.

I have:

2 Canon 1D bodies
1 Canon 1 Dmkll
1 canon 70-200 2.8
1 canon 300 2.8
1 canon 400 2.8

I hope this answers your question as to how I have more gear now sitting on a shelf than you will ever own. So enjoy shooting your weddings with your one body and your one lens, and I'll work in my professional world with the gear I need to do my job correctly.

Ok boys and girls listen carefully, did I ever say I was a wedding photographer? I don't shoot weddings, I never said I shot weddings, I shoot sports. Last week I picked up my new gear.

Nikon D3s
Nikon D700
Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8
Nikon 400 2.8

I have:

2 Canon 1D bodies
1 Canon 1 Dmkll
1 canon 70-200 2.8
1 canon 300 2.8
1 canon 400 2.8

I hope this answers your question as to how I have more gear now sitting on a shelf than you will ever own. So enjoy shooting your weddings with your one body and your one lens, and I'll work in my professional world with the gear I need to do my job correctly.

But seriously, what equipment did you have when you did your first paying gig?

I shot with my D90 and have been getting decent results. If you are just starting out I don't think it's important to lay down so much money upfront on equipment. I think you need to invest in a good camera and about two good lenses and a SB light and see where that gets you.
Obviously these clients like your work or they wouldn't have asked you to take pictures. I think you'll do fine. Enjoy it, have fun, it can be stressful, especially if the clients don't follow a timeline that you have set up and allow enough time for photographs.

Nikon D3s
Nikon D700
Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 70-200 2.8
Nikon 400 2.8

I have:

2 Canon 1D bodies
1 Canon 1 Dmkll
1 canon 70-200 2.8
1 canon 300 2.8
1 canon 400 2.8

But seriously, what equipment did you have when you did your first paying gig?

Why asking, you know hes from the film ages. His first camera was a med format hasslebald. v system with all the lens available. Hes a pro.
However, he just bought alot of new big toys which pumped his ego a bit more. I just hope he will finaly get some sharp images that look a bit more professional than the one he has on the ****ty website he has. IMO, he just sank into the tank of the "professionals" with a big mouth with alot of gears who produce ordinary mediocre work and nothing much to show.

Last edited:
Yep that's correct, I am from the film days. So tell me ghache what exactly is your concern about who I am and what I shoot for a living? I shoot sports, I understand better than you what gear I need to do my job, one that I am very good at. So if you were shooting sports what gear would you need to use? Unlike you, I am a professional, working as a professional in a field that requires the gear that I own, ego has nothing to do with it. So why don't you let us see your images, or your website, I'm just curious to see what amazing images you produce. Me being mediocre and all. I'm pretty sure that I don't post poor quality images on my website. There may be a few out of the 5000 that are online. www.scottgrant.photoshleter.com Anyone want to have a look at what I shoot, you know just to back up what this guy has to say about me not knowing how to shoot sports.

I can't be serious on this forum as it doesn't matter what I say, I am personally attacked every time. I will say that first camera I worked with was a Nikon with a 200mm lens, I was 13 years old, and it was in 1969 and I shot a professional football game with my Dad, who is also a photographer.

I will say that first camera I worked with was a Nikon with a 200mm lens, I was 13 years old, and it was in 1969 and I shot a professional football game with my Dad, who is also a photographer.

Pictures, or it didn't happen!

:lmao:

I can't be serious on this forum as it doesn't matter what I say, I am personally attacked every time. I will say that first camera I worked with was a Nikon with a 200mm lens, I was 13 years old, and it was in 1969 and I shot a professional football game with my Dad, who is also a photographer.

Let's be honest, you are "personally attacked" because the tone of your posts make you come across as god's gift to Photography. You make a good argument that in order to be a professional you need the correct tools to ply your trade. But your argument is lost in the sea of condescending & chest pounding comments. And then you have the nerve to play the victim card??? Come on man.....

I'm impressed that you spent $25k last year and that you have more gear sitting on your shelf than I, or anyone else on the this forum, will ever own. Truth be told, I would have been more impressed if you had used a portion of that $25K to purchase some perspective and a huge helping of humility.

To the OP...I hope you find a body and some lens that work for you. Good luck.

I'm out.....

I said that when I joined this forum that was honest and the truth can be harsh. I have been honest with my critiques and have offered suggestions on how they may have been a bit better. I don't believe that I have done any chest pounding, I won't deny that I have a lot of experience, or that I have alot of photographic skills, I've helped out other photographers over the years, and never asked for anything in return, I am respected among the photographers that know me, and they all know that if they ever have a question or need any help with anything all they have to do is ask.

I've had personal assaults on this forum and perhaps some of them are as a result of the wording and less of the intention. I was asked what gear I had, and I was honest, and when i answer the question suddenly I have a big ego becuase I work my ass off so that I can afford to by the gear to do my job the best way I can. I really don't care if someone wants to be a photographer and work with one body and one lens, if that's all they can afford then so be it, but I don't think it's justified to rag on me because I own more gear. I know guys that work with way more gear than I do, so what, I don't whine and cry about it, they work hard to buy the stuff. Good for them. I drive a ****ty little car, so what? I don't live in a huge house, so what? I don't care that people may envy the gear that I have, I suppose I could have tried working with insufficent gear and had a better car, but that's life. We all envy what we can't afford to buy.

I do my job very well, I won't deny that. There are photographers that are better than me, and I respect that, in the photo world there are no rankings, there is no number one, and on any given day anyone can get beat by anyone, I just work really hard to keep myself competitive in a very tough game. Unless someone is playing the same game, they'll never really understand.

Just wanted to let you all know that I have decided to go with the nikon d7000! It comes in on wednesday and I couldn't be more excited. Some day I will make the jump to full frame, but feel this is the right body for me right now. Thank you to those who were kind and offered useful advice instead of making me feel like an idiot for doing what I love.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back