Nikon F3 HP or Leica R4s

• Nikon F3 HP w/ Nikkor Ai-s 50mm f/2

Votes: 4 80.0%
  • Leica R4s w/ Leitz 50mm f/2 Summicron-R

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Nikom FM3a w Nikkor Ai-s 50mm f/2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Those gold snakeskin Alpas are real chick magnets.

So I updated the original post to include the FM3a. As I've disregarded the F3 by this point due to it being too large for what I need.

I could get an M2 for a similar price, sure. But Getting a cheap 50 for a Leica M here in Norway before Sunday is impossible. And I need it before then.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk
Oh my I toured Noway, Sweden and Finland on my motorbike in 2005 and couldn't believe how expensive things were

It's absolutely terrible. I remember insurance for my old Porsche 968 was so damn high I had to sell it after a year. Sucked as it was the perfect car for me(And still would be)
Leica stuff is no different, it's even more expensive than it is elswhere.

I shot the F3 HP as my main camera for 15 years.The thing I liked the MOST about the HP finder (High Eyepoint) version is that it was/is the absolute best viewfinder ever made for eyeglass wearers...it allows you to see the ENTIRE picture area, extremely easily, due to the extended eyepoint distance, which means that you can see the entire viewfinder area with the eye as far as one inch behind the eyepiece. That alone ALWAYS made the F3 HP my preferred camera over the smaller, lighter, cheaper Nikons of the era, the FM and FE series models (which I also own). The F3 HP offers 100% viewfinder image as well as the extended eyepoint.

For me, the viewfinder of an SLR has always,always, always been one of the top two criteria I use in measuring how much I like the camera. I want to be able to SEE and frame what I am shooting with the highest degree of transparency possible, and that is an area where the F3 HP was the leader.
That's what so good about a Leica M for street photography you can see outside the frame, so you can see the scene developing

Last edited:
I've played with an M9 before. Think it had a Summilux 50mm on it. There's where that Leica crush comes from. What a camera!

Bought the Leica. The FM3a ended up being a no-go.

Got it for a fairly good price too though. And a three month warranty from the camera store.

Bought the Leica. The FM3a ended up being a no-go.

Got it for a fairly good price too though. And a three month warranty from the camera store.

This is one of my Leica friends he has one of the biggest Leica collections i have ever seen
img250-XL.jpg

Look what he is using, crop of above, the one on the left is a R4S other is an R9

img250crop-XL.jpg

Beauties for sure!
Here's mine:

f3f38dfe890fcbf9aecd49f00df73bc3.jpg

I already want to upgrade that Summicron to a Summilux :D

I already want to upgrade that Summicron to a Summilux :D

When you have a Leica you don't upgrade you buy and keep the other lens, most Leica shooters have lots of different 50mm lenses because each one renders differently

Most reactions

Back