I need help with a lens

hwisch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I could really use some help. I have a canon 50D and need a couple of lens. I would like some recomendations for a standard lens and a wide angle lens. I have an 18-135 (but I broke it) and need a replacement. I also have a 17-40 which I am not real happy with. It doesn't work well on the 50D frame as a wide angle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard good things about the Sigma 10-20. That might be right up your alley. The prices I've seen have been pretty good as well.

What is your price range?

If your looking to save some money. I always suggest the Sigma 10-20 for a wide angle lens for someone on a budget. It is a really great lens for the price and has a lot of good rep.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0007U00X0

For a standard lens I would reccomend the Tamron 28-75 F 2.8... This lens offers fast focusing, and sharp images. Its a great alternative to Canon's similair focal range. It has a wider aperture which is very handy for portraiture and low light conditions..
Amazon.com: Tamron AF 28-75mm f/2.8 SP XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Juza has a range of comparative and single reviews on good wide angle lenses for crop sensor.
Juza Nature Photography - Articles
just scroll down a little and his lens reviews are right there (wide angles on the left).

Welcome to the forum.

I had the Canon EF-S 10-22mm and it was an outstanding 'ultra wide angle' lens. It's a bit expensive...and the Sigma 10-20mm has a good reputation and a lower price.

Why are you so dissatisfied with the 17-40mm F4 L? Sure, it's a wide angle lens, but it's designed to be a wide angle lens for a full frame (or 35mm film) camera. On a camera like the 50D, the smaller sensor means that it's simply not a wide angle lens. But otherwise, it's a Canon L lens, which means that it's top of the line.

A good 'standard' zoom, at a good price, would be the Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 (non VC). I had this lens and loved it. Especially because it was less than half the price of the Canon EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS. If you've got the money, I'd recommend the Canon, but the Tamron is really good for the price. They have a new version, with VC (their version of IS) but it's more expensive. Sigma has a version as well.

I'd take that 17-40 f/4L!!!

Most reactions

Back