I need help with my portfolio - Please help!

fadingaway1986

I Burn Easily :(
Reaction score
Website
www.06photography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am hoping to go to TAFE next year to do a diploma of photography. Part of the entry requirements is obviously having a portfolio - but I am not sure how to go about getting one - any help would be greatly apprectiated... This is a little bit of information I have got:

--------------------------------------------------------
Submission of a folio relating to Photography.
FOLIO SPECIFICATIONS
Folio Format
The work should be submitted flat (ie. not rolled) in a clear A4 size clear page folder. Work submitted in postal tubes will not be assessed.

Content
10-15 works of photographically based images, including 4-5 images on set themes.

Work may be in the format of:
- Black & White/Colour Prints
- Transparencies (Slides)

and/or
Digitally produced
Processing and Printing need not have been done by applicant.

Folio will be assessed on the following criteria:

Visual Communication
- Shape
- Space
- Form
- Appropriateness of media for fulfilling aims

Innovation and Experimentation
- Originality of concepts
- Development of personal imagery
- Evidence of “risk taking” and exploratory approaches to images, materials and media

Formal Elements
- Manipulation of formal elements

--------------------------------------------------------

I basically want to know things like
- what sort of photos should I include - any ideas on themes?
- what size should I have the photos printed at? (I was thinking 6x8 so it would neatly fit on a A4 page)
- how it should be presented? Will I need to include a written piece?

Please let me know if you have any advice on how to go about this - I need to have my portfolio submitted by september.

Thanks!

hi!
i had to make a portfolio to get into architecture school
consider yourself lucky, ANYTHING can go into an architecture portfolio, so there's a lot more to think about :p
if you're printing from digital stuff, i reccomend that between now and late august, learn Adobe InDesign, or some other kind of layout software, and go at it with that.
those are all the portfolio req's they gave? if they didn't ask for writing, i would really recommend that you don't put any in. I've talked to professors (architecture) and it seems like they get peeved when people put extra stuff in. Simple info on the image would be a good idea though, like "closeup of teapot, Minolta DiMage Z1" but only if it helps that image.
As for the images... what i did with mine was to print images the full size of an 8.5x11 sheet (that's A4, right?), and my text was on the back of the previous page. might be cool to do the whole portfolio sideways if most of your photos are aligned that way.
Probably you'll want a consistent format for all the pages, since its not for graphic design. Something simple. don't even use page numbers. if you don't use any text at all, probably you shouldn't include anything besides the photos, but make sure they're all the same size and position on the page. or... if differing development techniques is something you've worked with (size, chemicals, i dunno, i'm digital), make something out of that.
sorry i can't help much with image info, you're probably doing photo prints and i don't know anything about that.
for the image content... don't worry about that so much. pick your best stuff, but realize the review panel is going to know that you're GOING to school to learn how to do the stuff they're asking for in the portfolio. Portfolios are mostly to tell the school that you have an interest in photography.

Hey - Sorry I didn't reply - have been quite busy with work.

That was helpful, thanks... I still don't know how it says themes though.

It says 'including 4-5 images on set themes'. I am a bit confused by that. Also - how it says 'Appropriateness of media for fulfilling aims'. I'm not sure I understand that.

Thanks once again for your help.
- Alecia

As for themes... pick something you've got an eye for... for example, I love glass. I take pretty good pictures of glass - any kind of glass, really, glasses, bottles, windows, buildings - anything with glass. So I would use glass for a theme and use a little different technique or style for each image in that series.

What Steve said may be true, But i would really contact the school to see if a written piece would be accepted. In a portfolio, or anything an artist shows, if they aren't there to represent the art then an artists statement can go along way for you. Especally if you doing any sort of abstraction, to give the reviewers a glimpse of what you see in your work can only be a plus.
As for what to submit. Just give them your best. Try to follow the criteria as much as you can, but remember, this is a represntation of your art. They are not nessesarilly looking for exactly what they publish. The theme you should follow. What ever your best at. For me its representing water. For PSA its glass, for you ??? . Thats what being an artist is all about find your niche for expressing what you want to portray to the world.
Give them some traditional stuff, but also give them something that is unique as well. With your work you are trying to inspire others to think about the world around them.
I would prolly include an artist statement either way, they can chose to read it or not. They are not so scrict with the guidlines as you mentioned it. If you do submit one though, make sure to spend plenty of time with it. A good one will help get you noticed, a bad one or rushed statement will get dismissed.

Thanks for that...

I am kinda worried about the course ATM. I have worked out it is going to cost me around $10, 000 AU over two years. And I only have a casual job so don't have much money. I really wanna do it - but im worried about money. (and really pissed off that people on benefit get to pay $1000 less that me on the actual course - i pay $2, 800 - they pay $1, 800 - stupid people on benefit).

Thanks for your help - I will let you know how it all goes - and I will give the school a call this week to try and get something sorted.

Thanks,
Alecia

Most reactions

Back