I Need Help With RAW files!

Im trying to take all the RAW files off the card for to edit if need b. And free up the card and store the work

With the card reader plugged in and a CF card installed, can you see the RAW files on the CF if you're in Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer, the File Manager/Explorer)?

Im trying to take all the RAW files off the card for to edit if need b. And free up the card and store the work
Move the RAW files off the CF card and onto the computer's hard drive before you start to edit.

I could well be your file is at 16-bit because that is the default for ACR, Adobe Camera RAW.

Click on Image > Mode> and select 8-bit and try to save again.

Move the RAW files off the CF card and onto the computer's hard drive before you start to edit.
If Im reading this right that is the problem. It won't let him move the raw files from the CF card to the computers hard drive. In photoshop he can browse the CF card but he can move them from the card to the computer.

Do I have this right???

Let me rephrase that...

When you plug in your card reader, it should allow you to download all the data to a folder in your picture files.. Then you need a RAW program that can actually read and post process your files before you convert and save.. They will not show-up with a standard viewer/photoshop program.

It sounds like you are saying that you are doing post on your CF card browser...

Now is there a proper way to store these huge files? Like so they dont take up a lot of space?

Im trying to take the files off the card but it wont let me do that

I didnt have any problems takin stuff off it when i shot in jpeg

Misfitlimp,

From the perspective of the storage device, "RAW" or "JPG" are meaningless; it's just space on the media. Those are *formats* that will be interpreted appropriately by the product you eventually work with. I show in RAW (on a Nikon), copy the files onto my hard drive, keep what I want, delete the rest, and then occassionally edit.

Mechanically, I use (Windows XP) a set of 2 Windows Explorer sessions; 1 from the USB card reader of the Compact Flash media I use, the other for my PC/HDD. I select the images from the USB device (card reader/CompactFlash) and copy into my PC.

As has already been suggested, you might need an additional component for the product (I believe you said CS4?) you are using to manipulate the "RAW" format of the image.

I hope this helps?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back