I need RAW help

myluvtat2

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My PS Elements 9 will not open a RAW file...so how do I do this? :confused:

RAW files are opened (in Photoshop, Elements) by a sub program called Adobe Camera Raw. For every new camera model that comes out, ARC has to add the code for that model, otherwise it can't open the raw files. That's why ACR is updated two or three times a year.

So it's very likely that your ACR just needs to up updated. Go to Adobe.com and find the latest version of ACR for Elements 9.

If you have a very new camera model, it may not be supported yet. In which case, you'll have to use the software that came with your camera to open and convert the RAW file. You can save it as JPEG, TIFF etc., then open it in Elements.

If your camera is too new you can download the DNG converter from Adobe which will convert your images into a standardized raw file that your version of elements can read.

PsE9 Camera Raw uses the Elements version of ACR 5 (Adobe Camera Raw).

According to this list: Camera Raw plug-in | Supported cameras to open Raw files from your D3100 requires at least ACR 6.3 (the current ACR release level is 6.6)
You would need the version of PsE that uses ACR 6 (PsE10), because PsE9 does not support ACR 6.

But as MLeek mentioned, you can use Adobe's DNG converter and convert your D3100 Raw files to the .DNG file type and PsE9 will then open the files for you.

If you use PsE9 to upload your photos to your computer, there is likely a check box in the upload dialog box that will do the conversion for you every time you upload Raw files from your D3100 if you choose.

You need to update your camera raw program. I can open my NEF files in elements 9 and I have a newer camera. You can download the DNG converter but you don't have to.

Camera Raw 6.4.1 will work with elements 9 and will open the nikon d3100 raw files.

I learn something new everyday. I thought PsE 9 was ACR 5

The easy way to update Elements is to open it, click on 'Help', and in the drop down box click on 'Update'.

If you click on 'Edit' and at the bottom of that drop down box, click on 'Preferences', Somewhere in the Preferences should be a check box so Elements will update automatically.

Last edited:
I cannot believe I didn't think of just clicking on update in PS :meh: Thanks everyone, I am doing that now.

I have a PSE related question. (I don't mind hijacking the thread now since the OP's question has been answered)

When I open my RAW files with Adobe Camera Raw they look great, but when I open them into PSE from ACR the resolution appears to degrade significantly. Am I doing something wrong?

Click on the "link" at the bottom of the ACR window. Make sure that you are using the highest resolution possible for your camera and you are in sRGB colorspace.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back