I need some help with outside lighting

krista28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm trying to help someone in taking pictures of their car and I've never used "reflectors" before. How do I use them to reflect the light onto the car?

Might be hard to use a reflector on a car, unless you have a very large reflector. Otherwise it will just reflect onto a small area of the car. It would be better to use artificial lighting set up at angles towards the front and rear till balanced across the entire car. Evening and night shots are good for cars as long as the environment works well with the theme of the car. Google image can give you plenty of ideas to try and take inspiration from.

Yeah, reflectors and cars are not really a good fit in general (the reflected light is near as harsh as the sun you are bouncing back). First, what is hard about reflectors? You angle yourself so you at least generally face the sun and the subject is between you and the sun. reflect light in direction it isn't.

Using flash is a much better alternative. At least you are not limited to where you place the light and have much more control.

Or maybe multiple flashes :)
Depends on what you want to do. One flash high and to one side can light a complete car nicely in the evening. Multiple softboxes if you want to simulate a car in a well lit daylight appearance.

Yup! that's why I say maybe. I also saw someone light up the car with multiple lights and it really make the car pop. (of course, I am sure PP was part of the great result)

The more I read about lightning, the more stuff I want to try. :)

Most reactions

Back