I present The Flute Man.

v1c70r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I took this at a local park. It was my first time taking a picture of a stranger. He was unaware that he was my subject. The thing that really bugs me was that you can't really tell he's playing a flute unless you look at it for a moment. C&C very welcome.
DSC_0485.jpg

2.I really like this building, but now realize I have a blown out right corner. I think this would have been a good HDR subject, but a day late and a dollar short. No PP has been done.
DSC_0504.jpg

3. I originally had just number 1 of this subject up, but wanted to offer another look. It's further away but it's easier to tell he's playing the flute. I kind of missed the focus on the man, and the PP is not great.
DSC_0486.jpg

Last edited:
I think the man would make a good subject, but from a different angle. This photo really does not tell us much of anything.

Like you mentioned, it's barely noticeable that he is playing a flute; I wouldn't have known if you didn't specifically tell us.

Perhaps you can return on another day and get some shots from the front? Or side?

I really like it. I feel like it is a good story. Eventhough you can't really see the flute much you can see the music so you get the picture. I think seeing him from behind makes it feel like he is dreaming that he has a giant audience in front of him.... (I know I'm kinda corny :p) but I love it!

Why didnt you go up and shoot him from the front! Musicians are almost always cool with that. Also the difference in light from that direction really ruined a lot of good tonal possibilities here. Oh well. I enjoy the final one the most- it has a 'tiny figure in a huge setting' feel to it- although i would have cropped it down to like a 1:3 aspect ratio with him on the left side. But you know, thats me and not you.

^^^ It was my first time taking pictures of a stranger so I was a bit nervous. Hopefully if I get another opportunity like this, I will take advantage of it better.

^^^ It was my first time taking pictures of a stranger so I was a bit nervous. Hopefully if I get another opportunity like this, I will take advantage of it better.
Yeah thats the majority of my photography style (i think that was worded correctly). Its really really nerve wracking at first but once you build your confidence up its so easy. Just act cool, don't act nervous or suspicious, snap a couple photos, thank your subject and leave. It also helps if you talk with them to get them to relax, act natural and not give you a big ol kodak smile (which is funny that I say that cause its my favorite film).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back