I shot her dog.....

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of ours started doing agility and eventing with her border collie.

She asked me to get some shots of him in action, jumping specifically.

Since I have been on a shoot anything spree of late I set it up with her for yesterday evening about 90 minutes before sunset, plenty of time to get what I wanted, good light etc and at the time of making the arrangements it had been clear blue skies all day, and because I porobably wouldnt be doing anything that involved much sky this suited me fine, I was looking forward to shooting some action (that I have some control over, direction and placement for natural light etc).

2 hours before the shoot, it clouded over, son of a biatch!!! Every damn time I plan on doing something, the day looks good, forecast looks good (we have the biggest high pressure system in the world over NZ at present) and it always turns to custard!

Well, I just have to work a bit harder and dig into my increasing knowledge and experience base and do what I can with what I have. Note what is working, what wasnt and work with it.

I got one moment of late afternoon/evening light, and by a moment I mean about 15 seconds.

Anyway here are a few from the set I would like to share, C&C welcomed.

5138970296_6a0a334e3a_b.jpg

5138360699_01407c8be1_b.jpg

5138361977_60712c8d23_b.jpg

4. I really need to work on my off camera strobe techniques, blown sky annoys the hell out of me, I got a Canon 10-22mm lens last week, still working it out, way way softer than I am used to shooting with.
5138972136_092d44b933_b.jpg

5. I think both these shots compositionally are ok? Just need to get that lighting right.
5138971842_495080c4d4_o.jpg

6. The only moment of early evening light, and I could have done better, lol.
5138970840_a3e6a842dd_o.jpg

The 2 strobe shots were set up fairly quickly and it really shows, bare strobe about 12 feet back from the jump, harsh shadows, should have lit from beneath considering the subject is overhead, this is something I need to work on, some semi pro skater wants shots done in exchange for some sponsor clothing, shoes etc, so I need to get a bit of practice in before then.

Thanks for looking.

I love picture 4, great composition, picture 5 has excellent colours, although the lighting is slightly off to one side?
Very professional!

I love picture 4, great composition, picture 5 has excellent colours, although the lighting is slightly off to one side?
Very professional!

Thanks Joe, yeah the lighting was off to one side and it was just "off" in general, had no form of diffusion with me.

I know how incredibly hard it is to get everything just so for these trials, and I think you did a fabulous job! Light, speed, distractions,focus etc all have to come together at Just the right moment...very nicely done!

those are great shots. i love the first one the most :) i don't know how people do shots like that, every time i try to get one of my son running around... it's all a blur. :(

ignore my ranting. awesome shots!!

Really like #4

Most reactions

New Topics

Back