I shot my first wedding - Went well!

JeremyD

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings everyone!

I shot my very first wedding on the weekend, it went really well! Im happy with the results, of course I made some mistakes.

I was the main shooter, and my best friend came along for another view of the wedding and to get more B role video & help set up and such.

I went for two styles of photography during the day, one with beautiful natural lighting & during the dancing one with very intrusive off camera strobes, I know not many photographers like this style but I was experimenting with different styles to build my portfolio.

Also alongside of full day photography coverage I made a fun highlight film for my couple, here are a few images and the video

Jen-Hairstyling-by--Jayni's-Beauty-Box-Wedding-Dress by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Hacienda-Sarria-Spanish-Venue-Kitchener-Photography-Kids-Wedding by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

First-Kiss-Wedding-Peace-Love-Ceremony by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Ring-Bearer-Peace-Cute-Kids-Weddings by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

ring-bearer-Wedding-Photography-Toronto-Kitchener-Waterloo-JeremyDaly- by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Jayni's-Beauty-Box-Jeremy-Daly-Photography-KW-Toronto by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Hacienda-Sarria-Stairs-Wedding-Photos-bride-groom by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Peace-love-harmony-Wedding-photos by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Hacienda-Sarria-Dancing-Bride-Groom-Party-wedding-Love-Peace-Joy-Happyness by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Groom-Hacienda-Sarria-Wedding-Kitchener by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

Happy-Married-Couple-Ceremony-Wedding-Pictures-Hacienda-Sarria-Kitchener by jeremydaly42, on Flickr

I was using:
Canon 5Dmk ii
Canon 70-200 IS 2.8 USM ( Rented for the day ;) I wish I owned this remarkable glass! )
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 24-70 F/4
Canon 430exii

For the dancing photos I was using two off camera flashs on stands ( YN 560s (2), and I had a 430 EX ii on my camera when I was using only one flash )

Here is the highlight video I made:

I also made a portfolio website if you guys want to rate my web presence, branding, layouts etc:

http://www.torontoweddingphotographs.ca/

I am pretty new to this industry, I am taking my time since I am only 17. If you have any suggestions, tips, tricks, complements, constructive feedback let me know! I am here to learn.

During the wedding day was one of the happiest days of my own life, it was so much fun! To be able to be creative and taking photos all day during one of their happiest days is remarkable to me. It made me so happy.

I was really prepared tho, I have been studying the industry for about a year, learning how to deal with any lighting condition, dealing with random situations, the business end etc etc.

Thanks for viewing! Let me know your thoughts :) Have a great day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well done! Your preparation shows through in your work. These are definitely head and shoulders about 99% of the "First wedding" threads we see here. That said, a few general thoughts for improvement: Don't forget to level/straighten/perspective correct your images as necessary. There are some images which need a WB tweak (a little too warm), and of course your light placement in a few wasn't idea, BUT... you did capture the day. Well done - now, keep practicing and keep improving!

17? holy bageezus.

I am continuously amazed by the things that can come out of an inspired motivated young person. Very well done. Please do society a favor and continue to contribute and hone your craft.

Well done! Your preparation shows through in your work. These are definitely head and shoulders about 99% of the "First wedding" threads we see here. That said, a few general thoughts for improvement: Don't forget to level/straighten/perspective correct your images as necessary. There are some images which need a WB tweak (a little too warm), and of course your light placement in a few wasn't idea, BUT... you did capture the day. Well done - now, keep practicing and keep improving!

Thank you John, I agree some are too warm which would benefit from WB fixes. I will keep that in mind! I totally agree my strobe flashes were a bit too intrusive, I was under pressure for this part of the night since it was very dark and the ceiling was a window so I couldn't bounce it off there, but I know how I am going to light this venue next time I'm there.

I am continuously amazed by the things that can come out of an inspired motivated young person. Very well done. Please do society a favor and continue to contribute and hone your craft.

Thank you for your kind words! I definitely will keep moving myself in this industry, alongside of my personal photography with landscapes and night photography :) Photography & video makes me really happy so why not keep learning everything about it to master my craft.

Jeremy,

My wife and I have been doing wedddings for 25-years and we have NEVER seen a first time wedding done so well!

And at 17? REALLY! At 17 I was far too busy racing motorcycles and being VERY SELF-INDULGENT....

One comment from an old-pro. I did not see any formal portraits of the bride or groom as individuals--did you? We usually did these by window light (when available).

I like your available light work AND the off camera flash images.

Oh, and DO buy that 70-200 f2.8 Canon lens ASAP--it's one of the best lenses ever made--it's my PRIMARY lens for portrait work, weddings, studio, outside, whatever!

BTW, I recommend joining PPOC (professional photographers of canada)--they have a branch in Ontario. If they're anything like PPA (professional photographers of america) they could be a great resource for further education in the business AND art of photography.

If there is ANY way I could be of assistance to you don't hesitate to contact me! Jerry V.

Jeremy,

My wife and I have been doing wedddings for 25-years and we have NEVER seen a first time wedding done so well!

And at 17? REALLY! At 17 I was far too busy racing motorcycles and being VERY SELF-INDULGENT....

One comment from an old-pro. I did not see any formal portraits of the bride or groom as individuals--did you? We usually did these by window light (when available).

I like your available light work AND the off camera flash images.

Oh, and DO buy that 70-200 f2.8 Canon lens ASAP--it's one of the best lenses ever made--it's my PRIMARY lens for portrait work, weddings, studio, outside, whatever!

BTW, I recommend joining PPOC (professional photographers of canada)--they have a branch in Ontario. If they're anything like PPA (professional photographers of america) they could be a great resource for further education in the business AND art of photography.

If there is ANY way I could be of assistance to you don't hesitate to contact me! Jerry V.

Thank you for your kind words Jerry! Yes I did many formal pictures of just the B&G (the mom shot ;) ) but I didn't post them here, these images are just some of the photos I took of the day.

I am definitely saving up for the 70-200! It is a remarkable lens and I can't wait to own it myself. But for now I am fine renting it for $40/day for one wedding :) I will purchase one before next wedding season when I have enough weddings booked to invest in the lens.

I will look into the PPOC, I'm sure it will be a great resource.

Thanks I will contact you when I have questions Jerry! I'm glad I have this forum to get feedback from professionals in the field and have support.

Very nice, congrats

Most reactions

Back