I Think He's Pretty Cute

chantal7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What about you?

My cousin's son is who is in the photos (The one without the hat). I think he's 1 and a half. He was with another little guy, about 1 year older than him and they were playing with these plastic cups. They put them in their mouth, and let them fall down, and they started laughing. I don't know what was so amusing about the cups but it sure was amusing watching them. :lmao:

I'm not really experienced with people photos, so you can giver some criticism if you like! I know some people already prefer no borders, I've heard a lot about that already :p

IMG_4126c.jpg

IMG_4135c.jpg

IMG_4139c.jpg

IMG_4143c.jpg

IMG_4158c.jpg

Overall great pictures but very distracting backgrounds. I don't mind the border I think it's really cute! But here are some of my edits:

You can click on them to make them larger....some have soft filters some don't....too lazy to number sorry! and i don't know how to do that "attached thumbnail" thing yet on the forums <3

what cute pictures-yes the background is disracting, but I think family will cherish the joy in these pictures for a long time

what cute pictures-yes the background is disracting, but I think family will cherish the joy in these pictures for a long time

Yes, very distracting backgrounds, I agree - lol. But the moment was captured and it's sometimes hard to get a "good" background. It was at a BBQ so there were people all over the place.

Those are some crazy edits, I am not much for editing pictures (yet) since I take so many of them. So what exactly did you do to the edited photos? That's cool.

These pictures are great family snapshots for the family album. Cute kids, backyard BBQ. It's impossible to critique snapshots,, though, unless you are just showing off your family and not really looking for real critiquing. :)

These pictures are great family snapshots for the family album. Cute kids, backyard BBQ. It's impossible to critique snapshots,, though, unless you are just showing off your family and not really looking for real critiquing. :)

It was more of a family album type of thing, rather than professional / studio-like photos. It wasn't really the background I was wanting people to look upon. I guess it's only me but backgrounds don't seem to bother me... :blushing: lol. But of course once I look at it, it does become distracting. I'm kinda doing both, looking for a little criticism and showing off. :p

Chantal, sorry for the newbzy question but how did you make that blurred boarder?
Layer mask and blurring filters?

I'm not sure it's blurry? Hmm...... all I did was a stroke at 100pixels, overlay, opacity at 50% (or whatever % you like best), and color (black) or you can use white.. Mess with the settings, you can get some pretty cool borders based on the blending mode you use. And don't worry about the newbie question; I'm still learning millions of things with photoshop... Well, thinking of that, I hope you have photoshop!

Cute kid. I like how he's sporting the Converse Chucks. Don't ask me why.

In the future, I would open up the aperture. Get it down maybe even as low as it can go or a step above that. It will force the viewer to pay attention to the little one, instead of the grill or people drinking beer in the background.

I think, though, if you don't have much experience with people photography you did a good job. Keep it up, with a subject like him it shouldn't be hard to keep shooting! :)

A few things about portraiture- background is KEY. Sharpness is KEY. And, especially with children, eye's are KEY.

Next time, open up your aperture, go to 2.8 or so, and focus for the eyes.

I'd search more, but for examples check out my work:
http://www.freewebs.com/kellylindseyphotography/apps/photos/album.jsp?albumID=223395

I don't work in a studio either. Everything there was done in natural light in a natural setting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back