I THINK I'M IN TROUBLE; PLEASE HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, this is only going to be a big deal if you don't do anything. Get an attorney, figure it out. I seriously doubt she owes anything aside from maybe a fine. The problem is the IRS/State of Florida doesn't know that. You might be hiding away $300K of revenue for all they know.

Just buck up. I'm sure it won't be that bad.

And seriously guys. Who uses tax code to troll a forum?

How old are you people?

Since when does a municipal government care about earnings and taxation? Business license? Sure... Insurance? Maybe. I call troll!

If anyone wants to "call troll" or in any other way alert the site moderation to possible suspect content please use the report post button; rather than accusations in the thread itself. Not only is there a good chance that the mods might not see the thread and the posts; but it also means that you don't, inadvertently, insult new members to the site.

Since when does a municipal government care about earnings and taxation? Business license? Sure... Insurance? Maybe. I call troll!

Good lord. Are you really that deep in squaresville?! Nobody is going to troll over tax code! That's just ridiculous. I can see what you're saying, maybe she misunderstood the letter or there is some nuance in the law where she lives. Either that or it's a scam, which is entirely likely in scamtastic state of Florida.

But she's not a troll. And it's super, super rude of you to accuse her of that.

ETA:

Actually, thinking back to the OP; I'm pretty sure in the US business licensure is handled by the county or city. I know I've seen City of Billings business licenses at my CU, I remember thinking that was odd because usually it's the county. I noticed that you are Canadian - maybe this is the cause for confusion?

Good luck and even with an attorney get ready to pay.

They will require taxes in the form of whatever your marginal rate is plus some type of fine/penalties for failure to pay.

As a business you need to register and estimate your quarterly taxes from now on. Even if you aren't an LLC or S corp or C Corp or whatever.

Im not sure but i think there is only a small amount of citys in the states that has city income taxe. seems like you live in the wrong city.

Pay your taxes because they are going to butt **** you one day or the other.

Last edited:
Im not sure but i think there is only a small amount of citys in the states that has city income taxe. seems like you live in the wrong city.

Pay your taxes because they are going to butt **** you one day or the other.

I'm guessing it's actually sales tax here... I believe there is no STATE income tax in FL, but there could be a city income tax... I know some cities/towns in various states have one for those who work within the town. And if it was a city income tax, you can expect the state sales tax guy to be knocking at your door next. It's only just begun because after that it will be the IRS.

Consider that there are various kinds of taxes.
State and federal income taxes.
State sales and use taxes.

The OP can expect her town will notify the state, and the state will notify the feds.

It is very common in situations with an unregistered business that the 'business owner' does not have adequete business records for the various government tax agencies to use for accurately assessing the unpaid tax liablities, and for setting the various fines and penalties that accompany getting caught.

In that type of a situation the government agencies will just guess how much tax is owed and what the penalites and fines will amount to.

If the OP is on the level it is highly likely her financial circumstances are about to be radically changed for the worse.

Her town may, or may not, allow her to register/license her business now.

Frankly, I think her biggest concern will wind up being the state (for income, sales, and use taxes) and the feds (for income taxes).

Good lord. Are you really that deep in squaresville?! Nobody is going to troll over tax code!
You don't spend a lot of time on Internet forums, do you? People will troll over anything that will get attention.

That's just ridiculous.
Yes it is, but it happens.

But she's not a troll. And it's super, super rude of you to accuse her of that.
And you know this how?

I noticed that you are Canadian - maybe this is the cause for confusion?
I wasn't aware of any confusion, I simply indicated that I thought it was unusual for a municipality to collect any sort of income-based tax. I talked to a friend who lived for some years in Florida (Who, granted, did own/run a business) and hadn't heard of it either, but anything is possible.

Having been suitably chastised by moderators and members, I offer my apologies to the OP for my unsubstantiated accusation. That aside, since the OP was, by her own admission unlicensed and unregistered and did not comply with relevant income/tax reporting legislation, she did not have actually have a business, she was engaged in an illegal undertaking. I don't know whether this is a crimminal matter in the State of Florida or not, and while I don't dispute the OPs good intention, it seems to me that the only option left which may save her is to immediately retain a qualified tax and business practice attorney.

MOVE OUT OF THE COUNTRY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back