i think this turned out pretty good.

I guess i have different taste than allot of people on here, i see allot of landscape and people photography photos on here that i do not care for at all yet other people post about how nice they are. now a shot like this i really like. when i post a landscape or something similar here no one seems to care for it.

If you want c +c to get better that's great. If someone is harsh it can be hard to read but I don't see the point of arguing someone else's opinion when you ask for it.

However, if you take a shot of a pile of dog pooh, and you yourself like it, what others think is really quite irrelevant

I guess i have different taste than allot of people on here, i see allot of landscape and people photography photos on here that i do not care for at all yet other people post about how nice they are. now a shot like this i really like. when i post a landscape or something similar here no one seems to care for it.

Get over it. I'm not a good photographer, but when I post pictures in this forum, I ask for critique, not commendation.

The old mantra of "Shoot what you like, like what you shoot" comes to mind. But at the same time listening to others' advice can help you like what you shoot even more.

You said that the leaves are the subject you prefer however those are background elements in this photograph. Look at it. I mean just pop it up and look at it, then notice what is the FIRST thing you see. It will likely be 1) The light-colored glass on the light fixture, 2) The number "730", or 3) Your watermark. By then most people are moving on to another photograph because what you perceive as the subject is actually part of the background and all they see is a light pole with a house number on it.

Make your subject stand out from the background. Eliminate the elements that aren't part of what you want people to see in the photo. How you present a photograph is just as important as how you shoot a photograph, and in fact how you present it should be part of your thought process when you shoot it. It's called "Composition".

i think the leaves make the light post look nice. so the light post is the subject i just think the leaves make the photo, without them i would not have cared for the photo..

usually i do not like landscape type shots that i get, this is something i actually liked, kind of figured other people might actually like this one. not trying to argue anything, i like it, other people dont, other people like stuff i dont, just stating how i see it.

more bokah would have been nice. my lens was wide open when i shot it.

May I suggest a much closer shot? Get WAY in there and get those leaves, since that's what you liked. Do something semi-macro. Make the leaves comprise of 3/4 or more of the entire shot. The bokeh will be much much creamier at f/1.8!!(on your 35mm).
I assume this is your house? Go out and try that and post an update.

i was not expecting to hear such harshness out of this photo.. i know its nothing special but i though it was pretty descent.

thanks for the honesty. i am trying to get better at landscape type photos..
Totally agree. This board can be snooty to the point of toxic at times!

I liked it.

It's reasonably good, but it is a bit off-balance in total. For example, there's a fairly substantial, visually "weighty" amount of space to the left hand side of the frame witrh the sky, the tree, and the OOF neighborhood behind; the pole and the cross-bar that suspends the address sign is very close to the right hand edge of the frame; the large 730 white lettering PLUS your extremely heavy, bold typed logo in the lower right corner, all cause a lot of visual weight to be in the lower right hand corner. Overall, I think the size and proportion of the elements, meaning the tree on the left, the big tree on the right, and the post,lamp,and address sign are all mostly okay, and that comes down to focal length and f/stop used, but the thing that makes this not quite up to snuff is the lack of a harmonious balance within the frame...it's okay...reasonably good, but might have been better with a little less space on the left and top left, and a little bit more space for the cross-bar to "point into". And....this is an instance where your massive, white, heavy-fonted logo's typopgraphy is just killing the shot.

The way the address sign is rendered in good focus, and the solid, massive, upright tree trunk behind is rendered out of focus, yet recognizable, is very pleasing in a visual sense. That's a really good use of foreground/background juxtaposition. Nice use of selective focus. THe little bits of the neighborhood that are visible, way out of focus, is also good.

the watermark is distracting, on my wildlife photos i barley notice it but on photos like this it does seem to stick out allot. i will make a more transparent version of my water mark for these kind of shots.

i guess i crop it like you do bird photos, have the bid off center and more room on the side that the bird is facing. would a crop like this be better for this type of thing, i took some off the side

none had said anything about the other thread i made yet,

20151128-DSC_4685-2.jpg

i just sold off some lenses and a camera body today, i no longer have the 35mm 1.8, just have my big lens and the 18-200 right now, i think i am going to pick up a sigma 18-35mm 1.8. i have been wanting that since i heard about it and started checking out the reviews.

Not every photo can be a show stopper. There's a place for, and we need, photos that are OK and that only make it to the level of nice. This is a nice photo. We all take them and we should. There's lots of little details that work together to dampen the impact of this image and throw it off from what you intended. The watermark -- don't try and improve it -- lose it. It detracts from all your photos. The color: stop it with the auto white balance and get that under control. That's also hurting all your photos. You like the leaves on the lamppost? Their color and impact has been badly dampened down by the AWB failure of your camera and your failure to correct it. Derrel noted some good composition points. Here's the photo with 1/2 a dozen mostly small changes -- better?

Joe

lamp.jpg

I'm in Joe's camp here. It's a "nice" photo. If it happens to be your house number, take another after a fresh snowfall and use it as a Christmas Card. Oh yeah, and I'd definitely lose the watermark.

the embossed looking watermark on the sign is kind of neat, i think i like the house number on the sing better though. that version looks a bit darker and a bit too saturated. not sure i like how the glass looks in that. my eyes are drawn to the bright spot on the bottom left corner, the poles its self looks to be a deeper black which i do like. over all if you look past the watermark i like how it looked the way i had it better.

what is wrong with auto white balance, not sure how you even set up your own white balance, i know you can get a card or what not but i am not sure you can always use a white balance card in every situation.

thinking about it that tree is directly behind the pole so i am not sure how much that is gonna blur out even at 1.8

that's the wonderful thing about photography. It's subjective.

Since you don't have a lens capable of better isolating the subject, you could always do so in post.

Most reactions

Back