I usually don't like shooting these.

rwebbart

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I had to shoot at a funny angle to keep some undesirable things out of the frame. Also the reason it doesn't quite follow the rule of 3rds better.

IMG_9874.jpg

Should I crop the sun a little more off center.

PS - This lost something when being resized. It got a "band" effect around the light, the original size is better.

If you get stuck in a situation where you can't make the composition you need because of ghosts, zoom out if you can and crop the shot you want after.

As I told you before, I love this so much! :D

Horizon is crooked which really bothers me. And personally I think the sun is a little blown out.

Is there anyway to shoot the sun without blowing it out? I hear the sun is bright. :)

Andrew Snyder said:
Horizon is crooked which really bothers me. And personally I think the sun is a little blown out.

rmh159 said:
Is there anyway to shoot the sun without blowing it out? I hear the sun is bright. :)

That was cute. =P

I thought the sun looked good though, so what does blown out mean? ..

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE

Here is one that I took in the same set of pics obviously. I couldn't contain the sun and pull out the blue. Is this better....?

aside from the horizon (which doesnt really bother me) the only other part of this picture I dont like is the reflection of the sun in the water. It appears the reflection was too bright for your camera and so you have that purple speckled distortion as a result. I dont know what the term for that is called but I have seen multiple pictures where the sun is in the frame and there is that purple effect around the sun, like it has warped the picture itself.

sthvtsh: When he says the sun is blown out, that means that the image is overexposed and there is actually a total loss of data as a result.

here is a link for the thing I mentioned about the sun and the purple distortion. NOTE- NOT TAKEN BY ME http://www.ryloth.nt-uploader.com/D50%20Fun/D50-4.jpg

mysterscribe's edit was awesome... I think that works best for the shot.

I think the problem with the pic is you either blow out the sun (again... not sure you avoid that one) or you lose the detail in the shadow. I would think it'd make sense to blow out the sun. You can see in the other post from the same series that if you try to tone down the sun you lose a lot of the color and detail from the shadows.

I don't know... maybe i'm clueless (RARELY the case :lol:) but I have no idea how you'd correctly expose a shot of the sun so I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I'd just worry about how the exposure of the sun affects the rest of the shot.

Most reactions

Back